Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

San Juan Worm Reviewed




They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things and suddenly they're not such a big deal anymore. - John Gierach




Yes, this fly does catch trout although most don't want to admit that they actually use it. I have used it with success BUT I have a problem with the way that it is tied. It's tied by lashing the chenille at the mid point to the hook. Some add a bead at this point because we just have to add a bead to anything that doesn't float. In any event this tying method causes the chenille to kink and fold over on itself. Aquatic and earthworms don't fold over on themselves but just wiggle around as the current moves them.

After looking at countless pictures of standard tied SJW's I found a photo of a length of chenille tied to the hook at the end. This made sense even if the tier had a bead attached. I ditched the beads and tied some up. The chenille moved in the current in a very natural way and the Swift Bows approved. I guess I was looking for something to do because I tied a few with tiny glass/plastic beads for eyes but I dumped that idea a while ago because the beads kept falling off after a fish or three. Now I just use black thread at the "head" to make it look like a head.  

I don't worry about "short strikes" just like a bass fisher doesn't worry about them with rubber worms. The trout just inhale them!

 I like the way it looks. BTW, I always use micro chenille.

This is what happens when you are forced by Winter to spend early evenings thinking about fly fishing instead of actually doing it!! Actually it was fun!



Yes, it snowed as it does every winter.  Is fly fishing done for the season??  Your answer is found in the last 12 years of this blog and that answer is NO!!!!  It's the perfect time to book a three hour trip to a spot on the Swift that you've been meaning to get to. The air may be chilly but the water is actually nice.  This past Saturday I guided a gent who had NEVER caught a trout on a fly.  He took three and one was a beautiful brookie closing in on a foot long.

Book Me!!!!!

6 comments:

BobT said...

I have a confession....I honestly have NEVER used a San Juan worm...I have a couple in my box but I have never been inspired (desperate lol) enough to tie one on. Even in runoff conditions in the west where its a staple-I opted for a big hares ear or some kind of stone. Am I missing out?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

I used to fish the SJW years ago but it fell of the radar for me. A guy that I guided asked if I fished it and I said NO but that got me thinking. It always was a good winter fly so I thought I'd work some up in the above style.

Ken

BobT said...

I will give that pattern of yours a shot...why not

Millers River Flyfisher said...

It's the time of year to experiment. Go for it!!

Ken

Kozman said...

I have an interesting take on this fly. I wrap the hook with weight, tie the chenille in at the eye, wrap the chenille around the hook towards the back to give the appearance of rings, and then finally tie off at the back. I then cut the chenille a couple hook lengths beyond the back of the hook...super simple to tie...added weight gets it down in faster water...ring effect on part of the fly is a nice addition. For added splash, I sometimes add a touch of sparkle dubbing at the eye of the hook to give it a little more personality in the water. Pink is the color I catch the most trout on. I use to make these things out of old shammy cloth material as well...however, its not as stiff in the water when wet and can fold on itself, which defeats the point of the article. For those that haven't fished it yet, it can be a killer fly in the winter. Hang a nymph or a midge off the back of it and treat it as an attractor. Or make it the tail fly with a big stone up front. So many possibilities.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Kozman,

Thank you!!