Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Sawyer's Pheasant Tail And My Millers Christmas Present


General shape and coloration, together with the right size, is of greater importance than an exact copy. My two favorite patterns, as I call them, are the Pheasant Tail and the Grey Goose.  The Pheasant Tail serves for the darker colored nymphs and the Grey Goose for the lighter ones." - Frank Sawyer


SAWYERS PTN
Everybody knows of this great generalist mayfly nymph and I use the "generalist"tag  because with just a tweaking of the general shape and coloration (read the Sawyer quote above) this little nymph will represent just about every mayfly in a river.

Was Sawyer the first to use PT as a body material?? Not by a long shot.  G.E.M. Skues, the patron saint of nymph fishing, created a pheasant tail soft hackle a few years earlier but that creation must of bothered Sawyer.  His PTN was built to mimic the Baetis family of mayflies which tucked their legs up against their bodies when they were swimming. So, off goes any vestige of hackle to mimic legs and one has the killer, streamlined pattern that we have today.  (It's interesting to see how fly tiers just had to throw the legs back onto the PT over the years much as in the same way that tiers bastardized Carrie Stevens venerable Grey Ghost streamer which was  built to be streamlined with material on the sides  of the hook instead of the traditional (dumb) way of balancing material on the top of the hook shank.)






                                                                                   PTN With A Plastic Bead

I will sometimes include a plastic seed bead (found in craft stores) to mimic the head of the insect without adding too much weight to the fly. These beads come in a thousand colors and work well with hook sizes down to about 22.

You may also want to try this trick during hatch time.  Mayflies, when they are about to hatch, will send a lot of blood into their wing cases which will darken them considerably. You can imitate that by making your wing cases out of black duck quill or by making the pheasant tail wing case and then coloring it up with a trusty black sharpie.

Streamlined with legs tucked under




If you think that this is all too much to deal with then forget about the essence of this pastime (fooling trout with imitation insects) and just keep tossing your rainbow warriors, chartreuse mops and the rest of the junk flies.  But remember, it's not how many fish that you catch but how you catch them.

< Photo of Baetis Nymph from The History of Fly-fishing in fifty flies by Ian Whitlaw


Here's a gift for next year.  There is a spot on the Millers that is usually empty when the Kempfield, Occutt, Bridge Street and the Upper Trestle are being fished hard.  I know that last year I saw NOBODY there on some perfect June evenings and the fishing was great.

It is big, wide, of moderate depth and easily waded. Trout rise freely and are suckers for a soft hackle on the swing.

I'm going to divulge this spot but I have no fear of it being overrun. First, it's a big spot with lots of room for everyone.  Second, this gift may go the way of so many Christmas gift cards - thrown into a bureau and forgotten or maybe you're just too jaded by tailwaters to value it.  If you're smart you will not do that!!!!

Turn onto Arch Street in Erving, cross the bridge, bear right and keep going.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!!!!!

Ken












14 comments:

Bob O said...

I believe Frank Sawyer used to make his using very small diameter wire instead of thread. What size hooks are you displaying in this post?

Dave P said...

Merry Christmas, Ken! I've filed away that spot on the Millers for spring. Hoping to hit the Swift on Monday.

Cheers,
Dave P.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Bob O,

Yes, Sawyer used very thin gauge wire and I believe it was on a spool. I use thread to apply the PT body and wire to lash it down. I used size 16 dry fly hooks.

Dave P,

Merry Christmas to you too!! Don't forget about that spot!

Ken

Anonymous said...

The PT is a good chassis to play with. Try some with a flash back or Peacock thorax and use fine copper wire as your thread. Never had any luck using beads with them.

Anonymous said...

I've always wondered about that area. Thanks for the nudge!!

GW

Anonymous said...

Once you cross the bridge and bear right, how long do you keep on going?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 7:00

As far as you like!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy 2020 to you and family Ken. Thanks for all the work and insights again this past year - much appreciated. Greatest blog alive! Now onto the dark season at the bench and dreaming of subtle and snappy tugs, crystal waters, and just being out there where life is perfect. Jim M

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Thank you Jim M. Merry Christmas to you too!!

Ken

Sam said...

Ken,

I hope you are having a good Christmas. My wife and daughters went to a movie this afternoon that didn't interest me, "Little Women", so I took the opportunity to fish for the first time in a month. I was tempted to head up to the Route 9 zone thinking not many would be out, but it was already getting late so I defaulted to Bondsville being it is closer to me.

Action was slow with many casts yielding zero. Split shot added, the Gartside Sparrow settled into a deep hole and sure enough a nice rainbow took it and made a good account of itself for a short while before coming to net. I thought more might be in that hole, but nothing doing. Moved upstream to another good run and another rainbow was hooked and close distance released, this one on a partridge and orange.

It was nice to be out, a couple of trout hooked was bonus time. Props to my wife for the new waders used today that she found on sale to replace my leakers. I wonder how she knew I needed new ones!

Merry Christmas to you and your readers, Ken.

Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

I think you know the Bondsville section like nobody else!

Ken

Paul Fay said...

Happy holidays everyone! Ken I couldn't agree more about shape and color! An old timer once made it very clear to me, and it's a great point, trout do not know taxonomy they do not think to themselves "oh check out that line of E.Subvaria floating down this seam" they see a profile that registers as food and Gulp it ! In my mind Good presentation to actively feeding trout is all you need. Also good info about the wing case being dark before emergence, must be why my black emergers work so well when the sulfurs are popping

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Thank you Paul!!

Ken

Sam said...

Ken,

I know the zones I fish pretty well, but there is a lot of it I don't fish often or never have. One of these days I hope to explore it more. One thing I do know, it is an under appreciated piece of the Swift that should be catch and release at least part of the year, same as below Route 9 to Cady Lane.

Sam