Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, July 31, 2021

Don't Forget Peacock and Autumn Around The Corner

 

                                                Just be yourself. All the rest have been taken




I totally admit that I totally forget about peacock herl bodies. They are simple to tie and trout love them. Maybe it's because they don't appear to have any "science" involved in their creation and may just appear a bit too retro for the modern angler.  I tied some up this past week and the brookies and one 18+ inch bow inhaled it.  Note to self: tie and use more of these!!!

Speaking of peacock, don't forget the basic pinhead, a top midge for me on the Swift. A peacock collar and a thread and wire body is all that's needed in this 22 to 24 fly.  It beats out my Hot Spot Midge in a close race.


   Hot Spot


I Like August

There are lots of reasons to fish in August. First, the throngs of anglers have thinned out from the Springtime months. The sun sets earlier in the evening which moves up the hatch activity and the early mornings may actually have a nip in the air requiring a long sleeve shirt. There's still plenty of insects hatching and with the advent of the terrestrial season AND all the rain in July we should have great conditions right through September.  It is safe to say that the wet July saved some trout from being parboiled as in the last few years.

Book Me For September, October And November

I know it's early but I think we would all like to avoid the Autumn log jam that is getting a guiding slot on the Swift, Ware, Millers and the EB.  Just reserve a spot without a having a down payment and the spot is yours.

Ken


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Griffiths Gnat on top or sunken is a money fly this time of year into fall!

Paul Fay said...

Ken we are about to enter, in my opinion the best season and with some real water in our systems to boot. This is the time of year our freestones start cooling off, it's also a time where a good eye for trout cover and holding zones can really pay off, NO the fish aren't gone they have just moved out of the pods and away from the bridges yes you may have to walk! some may even find fish that have moved into tributaries that aren't stocked and may be overlooked as good trout water, also hoppers !!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

All of this is true except for the "October Stocking" which can clog up the weekends but the weekdays can be perfect.

Opps, I forgot about the Griffiths Gnat!

Ken

BobT said...

Peacock has secret and mysterious properties....buy some when you come across it. Its becoming harder to source good quality herl. Also...a little tip for everyone: don't buy the blackened scissors. I got a pair of the loons with the black blade, there is nothing wrong with the scissors cutting ability but I was tying up some more of my black CDC beetles with a peacock herl body. When holding the materials to cut them your fingers essentially block out any light and you have black scissors, black cdc and basically black herl...you can't see where you are making the cut...back to stainless for me.

Sam said...

Ken, any advice on waders? I never buy top of the line, but those I buy start leaking earlier than I would imagine. They are dry as can be for a while, until one day my boots fill up all of a sudden. Flex Seal never seems to get the job done with those I have tried to repair.

Any advice from you or your readers would be appreciated.

Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

All waders will leak at some time regardless of how much they cost. Flex Seal is the best but it won't last forever. I have bought my waders in recent years from Sierra Trading Post (online). Good selection at very good prices and they hold up. I would even explore Amazon which I've heard some very good things about. That's where I buy my fly lines. They are great and cost less than $20.00

Bobt,

They would work great on white material!! Years ago I bought a pair of curved fingernail scissors. They work great.

Ken

Unknown said...

Hey Ken, what brand of fly line do you use again?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Unknown,

I was told of this fly line by someone I guided. I tested the line and it seemed fine so I bought one on Amazon. I believe the company is Maxicatch or something like that. They are good lines and at $20 or less they are a steal.

Ken