Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Looking At The Comparadun, The Rivers And A Strange Use Of Words

 

"If you're going to do something tonight that you'll be sorry for tomorrow morning, sleep late." Henny Youngman


If you had only one pattern of dry fly to take care of the vast bulk of your size 12 through 18 presentations it would be the Comparadun, the great creation of Al Caucci and Bob Nastasi. (some may say that Fran Betters created it but that's not so. He created the Haystack, which is close but it's not a Comparadun. The Comparadun can be tied smaller and slimmer , not a Haystack.)

The beauty of this fly is it's floating properties (deer mask for the wing does that) and the fact that it presents the profile of a mayfly without all the other stuff we like to wind on a hook (hackle).  

I've been tying and fishing the standard and traditional tie for 35 years (representing a hatched mayfly) but have gone over to a Bob Wyatt emerger style tied on a curved hook but still using the deer hair.  It's super effective but not as "pretty" as the Caucci/Nastasi fly.


                                                    

BTW, I've done very well using artist brush fibers for tailing material for years. Find a large wide brush that that has WHITE, fine fibers that you can touch up with a sharpie.
I don't use this material as much as in the past because of my love affair with emergers but I will work some up just to have them.

Funny

I got a chuckle when I saw that the author of a blog referred to is fishing companions as his "fishy friends". It appears that the author didn't realize that the adjective "fishy", in the American vernacular, means that something is suspicious!!!   Enough said.

The Flows

Millers River - 1560 cfs
EB                 -  572 cfs
Ware River    - 414 cfs
Swift River    - 442 cfs

Yes, it's been rough. The water is very high on our major rivers and this non stop, NW wind, makes it feel like February at times. Keep the faith and hit the Blue Lines!!

P.S.  Need soft hackles??  You know where to get them.

Ken













14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, Please keep those cards and letters coming and love the content! Question - with the continuing high flow on the Swift, any Salmon coming over the spillway? Thx.

Tim C.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Tim C.

Thank you and no salmon come over the top in Spring, only the Fall.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken, my dad and I were thinking of going to the Ware River this week. Do you know of any spots that would be good? Thanks.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Tim C,

Church St. for starters.

Ken

Paul Fay said...

Have to tie up some comparaduns! I tie a similar fly that I call the unsinkable quill although it has no quill to speak of, basically a comparadun but I use poly for the wing, the classic is nicer for smaller sizes I think. I saw some march browns I believe coming off a blue line the other day and it got me excited, I've been itching for some dry fly takes, I would imagine Hendricksons will make an appearance soon always a tough match though, they seem to look a little different on every stream I'm my opinion I usually do well with a pheasant tail body loop wing emerger and I've had success with partridge and brown SH as well. Praying our flows come down soon!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

Hendricksons like to hatch when the water temperature is around 53 degrees. We are not there yet. BTW, Vince Marinaro observed the difference in the bodies of Pa. hendricksons and those from other states. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference since everyone's pattern is different from the next guys nbut they all catch fish.

Ken

WrongDay said...

Ken,
I'm one of the fishy friends of the blog author you reference, and if the term can be construed to mean "suspicious", then i certainly fit the bill.

Love your blog.

WrongDay

Charles said...

Driving through West Fitchburg the other day and saw a fly fisherman at the junction of the two small rivers that form the North Nashua. That was so unusual, I had to turn around, park behind a diner, and go talk to him. He had been there about 30 minutes, hadn't caught anything, but thought it looked good. It did. He drives around looking for "fishy" spots, waiting for other rivers to calm down. I drive by the Nashua several times a week and have seen both ospreys and eagles soar up out of the river with fish in their talons. Something is in there. Might be time for a little "urban fly fishing."
Charles

Chris said...

Does anyone know? Are there any wild browns in the fly fishing only section of the Nissitissit River? I went there this afternoon. First time I'd been there in somewhere between 10-15 years. I caught two tiny browns, one maybe 8-9 inches, the other maybe 6-7 inches. I saw a sign that was dated 2008 and said Trout Unlimited Sucker Brook Restoration Project. Made me start to wonder if browns use that tributary to spawn.

Chris

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Charles,

I believe that brook is Phillips Brook where I used to fish. Years ago i would catch native brookies in there.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken, I know the blog of which you speak. They claim to be the #1 fly fishing blog in New England. Just curious, how are these types of claims confirmed?

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I fished Phillips Brook a couple of times when I lived in Fitchburg. It does get stocked I believe. The North Nashua through Fitchburg could be good trout water and it is slowly being cleaned up. Bigger problem is warm water from impoundments. Some day maybe.

I see the Millers Erving flow is down below 1000 and pretty much a dry 10 day forecast. Now might be the time.

Enjoy,

Peter

Charles said...

Ken---the brookies are still there. I did not live in this area at the time, but I bet you find it hard to believe that the multi-colored Nashua of the 1960s has eagles and fish in West Fitchburg.
Charles

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

I was approached by that rating company and to be rated I needed to give them some $$$. Now, that's fishy!!!

Ken