Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

What's Up With The West Branch Of The Westfield And Another BWO





This was my favorite river not too long ago. First of all I caught a lot of trout there and it was a river that was just totally gorgeous.  It reminded me of a miniature Deerfield and although Rt. 20 runs along much of it's length you could easily slip off the beaten path and have the place to yourself.

Until lately.

Two years ago this place failed me.  I might have caught 3 or 4 in the 3 months that I hammered it.  I thought that this was just a case of bad luck but the same thing happened last year.  Places like Wild Cat Springs and Dead Man Run produced next to nothing.

I'm not the only one who is being snake bitten by this river.  I fished it once last week and........struck out!!  If you are having any luck on this river drop me a line.  No need to tell me the location.


 A Slightly Different BWO


The only thing different about this dry/emerger
is the hackle that I used.  I took a section of a size 18 through 24 grizzly cape and dyed it NAVY blue. At first I thought of it as a mistake but the blue matched great with the black bars of the grizzly.  With a brown/olive thread body and a thorax of olive rabbit it looks great and when these rivers come down it will do well!!!

T.S Elliot once wrote that "April is the cruelest month" and he wasn't kidding.  Maybe he was a fly fisherman? The rivers are high but they will come down. The sun will come out and we will be in shirtsleeves soon enough.

Keep the faith!!!!

Ken









9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

I fished that river on Sunday and had success swinging a stonefly pattern across the deeper runs and into the soft edges. I fished up past the old colony ruins and also noted a lot of nice bugs on the underside of rocks.

Sam said...

Definitely frustrating when a favorite stream doesn't produce anymore, Ken. I often wonder how much poaching goes on along with taking more fish than the limit with little enforcement. The DFW trout stocking web site maps out where they stock the trout.

Sam

Paul Fay said...

Its a rough time of year when the rivers are blown but the itch to get out and fish is there. Sometimes I fish in blown out conditions on the bigger rivers and try to target soft water pockets close to the bank, thankfuly the tribs and blue lines produce some nice fish. I still can't get over the size of the brookies I got in the Miller's trib the other day, I will most certainly be returning to commit a full day to exploring them!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul Fay,

The Millers has a trib that has a population of native browns. The DFW let me on to that one.

Ken

Jim D said...

I thought it was just me:
You are spot-on about the West Branch,the last 2 years have been dismal and frustrating! From Huntington to Chester I would rarely see cars let alone fisherman, it was my go-to spot! Maybe I'll try this afternoon.

Dean F said...

Hi Ken, my main gripe about the month of April is the unceasing wind. I can find ways to fish around high flows and the less than perfect temps but a steady wind with a fly rod can make for a rough day. Precious weekend days have been lost to raking and doing yard work, April most certainly can be a cruel month.

mike said...

Lol, at least you're fishing. Up here we're still locked up in ice, though the Aroostook broke up early this year; three days ago. Good luck on the Westfield, I fished it years ago and found it a wonderful little stream. The Millers and the Squannacook remain wonderful memories.

Paul Fay said...

I believe that's the one I was on but no browns I fished off the road in one spot I didn't have much time to really get in there

Merrimack R. Guy said...

Ken,

Happy Easter to you and yours! I hope that you are enjoying some down time compared to previous years.