Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, April 18, 2022

Approaching The Swift Come Hell Or High Water And a Buggy Wet Fly

 "I told my doctor I broke my leg in two places.  He told me to quit going to those places." - Henny Youngman


An Empty Y Pool


On Sunday I took a walk up to the Y Pool just to check out the high water situation. I saw one angler in the "destination" and he left shortly after I got there. The 383 cfs makes this place very difficult to fish but there are ways to be successful under these conditions.

First, fish the Bubbler Arm. The flow will be lower there (most of the 383cfs is coming over the spillway) and if the flow looks high in the Bubbler Arm it's most likely just the backup from the spillway.  Slowly walk the ARM upstream and look for bows on the way. When found start below them with a small PT nymph or one of my Pinheads (size 18 and smaller) below an indicator).  I once took 60 fish here on a late March week under similar conditions!

Now, this is important. The Spillway Arm, really unwadable right now, will recede and you want to be there when the flow is just coming over the dam and here is why: The water coming over the dam will be surface water and it will be warmer (60's) than the Bubbler (50's) and that's what you want. Trout will leave the flow of the Swift and begin working over insect hatches in the Spillway. The further upstream you go the better the wading and the better the surface activity. This will last as long as there is a trickle coming over the dam.

Watch the flow on a daily basis because when it begins to drop it drops like a rock!


I love the fluff that comes with a partridge cape because it looks ALIVE in the water and gives a good profile to the fly.  This critter has a fluff tail, a fluff body and a partridge hackle head.  Swing it in the riffles and use nothing lighter that 5x.  4x is better because the the strikes are strong and violent!! Size 10 and 12 work fine on your favorite freestone.


I was told recently that based on page views and comments this blog is the most popular owner operated fly fishing blog in New England.  Very Cool!!  Thank You!!


Ken







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice tie! I can see that working well into the season.

Paul Fay said...

Happened to drive by the swift on rt 9 yesterday not a vehicle to be seen ! Had a nice time fishing some blue lines in the area and got pelted with snowy sleet, no fish to hand but still a great day, love the dirt roads in that area

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

I got hit by that snow squall line that afternoon. Not nice for April!!

Ken

Dean F said...

Congratulations on having the no. 1 blog sir! I use the under-fluff feathers from both partridge and pheasant skins for the same reason – in the water it makes flies look alive. I began using them for the tails and the gills on Hydropsyche nymphs after watching Oliver Edwards tie them on youtube. It has more movement than ostrich herl, kind of like a micro marabou. It may not be durable but I don’t mind getting a beat up fly back to land a fish and I can always tie another one.