Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, July 29, 2022

Fishing For The Love Of It.

 "The purpose of this discussion is not so much to suggest serious fly rod assaults on goldeye and turbot, but to remind us how arbitrary the distinction between "game fish" and just plain fish can be. It's worth remembering how recently the bonefish fell into the latter category. The pioneering efforts of a few fly-rodders possessed with the vision thing elevated the bone from a seagoing sucker to Cult Object within our lifetime.  It is entirely reasonable to ask what overlooked species might be next" - E. Donnell Thomas, Jr. Whitefish Can't Jump, 1994



So far my "Summer of Stripers" has been just short of a bust for me along the New Hampshire/Plum Island coast. I've caught fish but my total catch from mid June to now equals less than one week of fishing back in 1994 when I first targeted that species.  The few fishermen I've talked to say the same thing and I've seen only one other fly caster working the water. It was only about three years ago that "Tincup Bob" took me out in his boat to the jetties where I took over 30 bass. Now the place may have only one or two boats by the mouth of the river and NOBODY is fishing from the Jetty.  So far it's an off year in my favorite spots.

Am I remorseful or pissed off or a bit melancholy at this state of affairs?  The answer is NO.  As the great fly tier A. K. Best once said "The fishing was good but the catching wasn't." And even if I knew that catching would be tough I'd still be out there wading wet with nothing but a small waist pack, a wallet full of streamers and some extra tippet.  I will just branch out and fish Ipswich Bay to the south and the Mousam River to the north and if my results are like those of the Red Sox so be it.  I'll still have fun and remember - Hope Springs Eternal!!!

Fresh Water

I guess I picked a good season to rest my trout rods with all of this low water and high heat. The Swift is still chugging along at 120 cfs and will continue until we get a good regional soaking that brings the CT River up so that the Swift can come down. I'm actually thinking about chasing Swift browns and brookies this Fall and maybe dusting off my trusted recurve and taking a few shots with it.  I haven't bow hunted since 1992 when I gave it up to focus totally on fly fishing. But now...


Ken



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you move your way south to Ipswich bay, I can tell you I’m still seeing numerous stripers in close in 12-18 inches of water hunting for small shrimp and crabs around low tide. Sight fishing to them when the water surface is relatively flat has been fun and challenging. As you know, they get quite spooky in shallow, but it is a blast when you hook up. While weighted shrimp patterns have worked best , streamers can still produce. I have been almost exclusively fishing coffin beach and Wingaersheek beach from the mouth of the Essex river to the Annisquam river since mid-May. While the fishing has slowed recently, water temps are still 61-62, which seems fine for the fish.

My guess is the situation at Cranes Beach would be similar and with 4 plus miles of beautiful Beach to work with, you’ll have plenty of solitude on the flats. When I was over there yesterday on a bike ride, I noticed a sign that said you need a fishing permit from the town to access the area from 7pm-6am. You may want to check this out first if you decide to fish there.

Good luck,
Paul H

Anonymous said...

Ken sorry about the striper action, I remember some years that were better then others so maybe just an off season. I would say give joppa a shot at night I have always heard good things about big fish eating eels in there. I've been thinking of hitting the swift soon I haven't been there this year but I've been letting the blue lines be until we get some more water so it seems like a good move despite the higher flows the last time I was at cady lane and the jungles below I sighted a few big old brownies maybe I'll try tossing some Brookie flavored Marabou at them if there still around.
Paul Fay

Anonymous said...

Yup the weather is tough on freestones. Planning of trying your Needhami pattern on the Farmi when I return from Labrador. Otherwise its Bass Fishing for me. Keep pitching those streamers and you will hook up on Stripers!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul Fay,

Those browns are still around!!! So are the brookies.

Anonymous 4:53,

It's the Needhami season for sure. It's weird but I've only seen that insect on the Farmie.

Paul H,

I plan to fish that area next week.

Ken

Dean F said...

Hi Ken- the drought and warming stream temps have driven me off my local trout streams. I’m really missing my Brookies but due to the price of gas I can’t justify the hour drive each way to the Swift. For now I’m fishing the few still flowing warm water rivers nearby. I had a great time yesterday stripping Atlantic Salmon flies in the pools and catching small Largemouth and Yellow Perch. Maybe they’re not as pretty as a Rainbow but then again, they are wild. Stay well!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dean F,

Yellow Perch on Atlantic Salmon flies. Now that's a first! I remember fishing Wachusett Res. and seeing thousands of yellow perch milling around below the mouth of the Quinnie in the Fall. Probably there to steal Brown Trout eggs.

Ken