Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, July 7, 2022

Learning To Cast

 

"The trouble is, trout don't always play by the rules, so for every anatomically correct fly pattern that works, there's a corresponding Christmas tree ornament that works too" - John Gierach



One thing I've noticed over the last twenty years is that many fly anglers have been introduced to this pastime through the back door of nymphing. Nothing wrong with that because you will catch some fish. But what happens when you're not nymphing but actually have to CAST a fly or more correctly have to cast a fly line.? Let's face it, nymphing is not fly casting but more like fly lobbing or "chuck'n & duck'n". (And don't get me going about casting weighted flies on 30 foot leaders! The next step would be to buy a noodle rod, right??) More often than not the average nymph fisher is not a good caster and cannot deliver a dry fly or a sunken fly with any distance or accuracy. It's not his fault because that's the way he was taught. He can cast (lob) a weighted nymph rig but he's baffled by casting a fly line. (A sure sign of this is the fellow that needs a dozen false casts to launch a fly). The mechanics of casting a fly line are totally different.

What's the next step?  Instead of shelling out big bucks for a "dry fly rod", which will not improve your casting, you should take a casting lesson with a casting instructor. Notice that I said casting instructor and not a fly fishing lesson. One on One time to review your technique and to "retool"  will serve you very well in the future and keep you from being a "one trick pony" on a trout stream.  

Speaking of "big buck" rods, I was perusing through my collection of Tail Fly Fishing  magazines (the best saltwater fly fishing magazine out there) when I began to re-read an article on fly fishing for King salmon by E.Donnall Thomas. I've been reading Thomas's work for 20 years and he is a world traveler and accomplished fly fisher so I was a bit surprised when I noticed that that his fly rod was not a "top shelf" rod in the $1000 range but a mid range Cabelas !!!!  Now, someone of Thomas's fly fishing stature could get his hands on ANY fly rod but he didn't. He could probably cut a sponsorship deal with any high end manufacturer but again,  he didn't.  

Maybe he feels that there's not a lot of difference between the top end and the mid range of rods. His article mentions technique but only a passing word on rods.  Maybe we should get the hint!!

Ken


12 comments:

Hibernation said...

Ken, totally agree. Getting a casting lesson, or lessons (better) is a huge help.

Question though, are there fly fisherfolks who can only nymph or what not? I'm not trying to be annoying. It may be that I grew up fly fishing for many fish and in many situations, so roll casting, single hand spey, "dappling", "spanish Nymphing" "CZN", dries, streamers whatever it's all just casting with the fly rod. I'm sorta shocked to think folks would have a hard time casting a dry if they can lob a tungsten anchor on 30 feet of flouro. That level of specialization is new to me :)

That said, it makes me feel like a renaissance fly fisherman, which is cool :)

I hope the salt has been good to you!
Will

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Will,

There are folks who only nymph and these people really limit there chances of being successful. I have guided guys with a nymphing set up (long rod, ultra long leader, heavy depth charge bomb of a fly) and I have told them that an outfit like that will not work where we are going. I like a generalist approach to this sport - an all around rod and line that gives me a good chance under any situation.

Sometimes I would guide someone who needed 6 to 8 false casts to launch a fly. That equals TIME FOR A CASTING LESSON!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Dear Ken,

I agree that, regardless of their fly fishing competence, most anglers will benefit from lessons given by a skilled casting instructor; however, too many fly fishing guides offer casting instruction to their clients without the necessary expertise.

High-quality casting instruction is available from the fly fishing schools (Orvis, L.L. Bean, Wulff, and others) and from Fly Fishers International (formerly the Federation of Fly Fishers) which offers a directory of FFI Certified Casting Instructors on its website. Casting instruction of this caliber is time and money well-spent.

I also agree that many mid-priced fly rods offer excellent 'bang for the buck', and that beyond a certain price point there are diminishing returns in rod performance. However, since the advent of graphite a very few premium fly rods have been transformative; the original Orvis low-modulus graphites, the Sage XP series, and the Loomis GLX series all come to mind. To this day my XP and GLX 5-weights remain superior to any of their modern competitors. Once again, money well-spent!

-Mike

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike,

Good points. When I mentioned casting instruction I meant with a casting instructor and not a fishing guide. I know of an instructor who video tapes the entire session to isolate flaws. One on one instruction is always best.

Ken

DRYFLYGUY said...

Ken, a lot of good points you made with your blog thread as well as your follower's comments. I understand your theory of casting fly line and different abilities of others and their change of usual methods, etc. like many, I too could probably benefit from a casting lesson or two to help clean up a few of my bad habits. As far as that latest craze in nymphing and all its involvement, for me it's too technical and very costly and probably not for me. If I was to look at me and my methods, I'm a bit of a semi fly fishing purist. with dries being my 1st love, then nymphs weighted and non-weighted, a few streamers, etc. When I go out, I want to fly fish and not worry about all the science and technology behind it like this nymphing craze, but that's just me. As far a fly rods and what you do and don't need? In my mind, you need good equipment, not expensive equipment. That trout or whatever fish you maybe be targeting doesn't care if you spent $100.00 or $1,000.00 dollars on a fly rod, only the beholder does. When I 1st got back into fly fishing years back, I fell in love with the Redington line of fly rods which are watered down sage with sage influence. I have several of their different models, and one of my favorites are the classic trout (CT) series which I have in different weights and lengths. Redington works for me. Yes, they don't have the latest space age resins or silver hardware, but for me it's good quality equipment that works. Actually, on you tube, Reds fly shop in Washinton state did a casting comparison between the Redington Vice ($200.00) and the Sage X (900.00) and they casted virtually the same. $200.00 vs $900.00, I'll take the $200.00
Just for the record, I too like the Cabela's branded rods. More so, before Bass pro bought Cabela's, but regardless.
By the way, I'm happy to hear your settling into and enjoying your new life change. It really sounds good...Phil

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Phil,

We think the same!! My standard trout rods, not counting bamboo, are all Redingtons with a 4wt classic trout topping the list. When I was guiding I got to cast a lot of clients rods with some being good and some not worth the money in my opinion. If I find something I like I stick with it.

Ken

Anonymous said...

In my 50+ years of fly fishing, more often than not its the fly line that makes a flyrod sing (or not). Finding the right taper (DT vs WF for a start) has made a huge difference in performance with my rods.

Millers River Flyfisher said...


Anonymous 7:10,

You are absolutely right!!! 50+ years ago I started with a DT for trout fishing and it worked fine. Then I bought into the WF craze and although I got more distance my presentation got a bit sloppy. Now I'm back to the DT (and a Wulff Triangle wt) and life is good!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

As Charlie Shadan, owner of the Evening Sun Fly Shop in Pepperell, MA always states to his clients "It's not the Arrow, it's the Indian". Pretty much summarizes this post up...

Freelon said...

Technique it the main thing,right?Saw Lefty Kreh give a seminar years ago that really was valuable in improving my casting.

Anonymous said...

Good tip on the lessons I've been thinking of the same as I've never actually taken one. my report on the Deerfield is as follows. Low water made fishing tricky, I casted to many rising fish slowly working up stream but couldn't manage any I noticed some sulphurs and blue wing olives buzzing around so I worked my way back downstream with an olive soft hackle but took no fish. I did loose one fish due to a broken tippet swinging an olive wooly bugger. Not the first time I've been skunked on this river wish I had time to fish the cold river but I couldn't manage it due to limited time. It was certainly great however to have a break from work and be able to wet wade and target sipping trout!
Paul Fay

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul Fay,

Thanks for the Deerfield report!!

I've fished upstream from the Cold River/Deerfield confluence where there is a series for rocks/rapids. At low water it was perfect.Any buoyant fly will do the trick in that fast water.

Freelon,

Lefty was the best!!!

Ken