Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, September 28, 2022

October Pumpkin Caddis

 




The largest swarm of this particular caddis that I've seen was on the Millers River about 10 years ago.  That mid afternoon in October had millions (maybe) in the air.  They came in waves, all flowing upstream and I was covered with them.  The trout couldn't give a damn about them. A few days later with just a sparse hatch the trout couldn't get enough on them. So it is with this big tempting caddis fly. I always carry some with me on autumn days because you never know. BTW, the trout on that day 10 years ago were hitting a size 20 BWO.  Go figure.

I tie this fly on a size 16 hook with a very sparse tail of fine deer hair, a body of rust colored hares ear and a sparse wing of deer hair like the wing.  I color the wing with an orange marker because I think it adds to the fly although the trout may think differently.  Don't think for one second that this fly has to be pretty and perfect and all of that. The trout don't care!!

The EB and the Squannie

When you check out the DFW stocking page this Fall you will see a spot where you can ask a question.  Ask This: how come the Westfield River at Chesterfield Gorge, the premier freestone C&R river in MA isn't on the Fall stocking list.  There's enough water from the Gorge downstream and it's cool enough for trout!

 If you are stocking the Ware River why not the EB of the Westfield???????????  Same with the Sqannacook.

Ken







10 comments:

BobT said...

the October caddis is a fun bug...I caught it last fall in the Catskills...very sporadic but it was quite effective when drifted and blind cast through riffles; not a ton of risers but they would hammer it enough to force me to just keep prospecting it. Its a solid #10-12 in the Catskills. Headed that way next week and have a fresh batch ready.

DRYFLYGUY said...

Ken, two things.

1st, by the looks of your photo in this most recent thread entry, it looks like you have a nice sunny and upbeat area for tying all your fly creations. I like it!

2nd, I just placed and sent my comment into the mass fall trout stocking question as well as feedback comment section on the MF&G site. Great idea and suggestions made to your followers. Who knows, it may work in our favor.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

Hope you do well in the Catskills. Freestones or tailwaters??

DRYFLYGUY,

I hope it works too. Thanks for writing!!

Ken

Bill/Tully said...

Odd day on the Swift Wed. I walked in at the gauge about noon with a tenkara rod and the river was down. As in 10 cfm. Might as well stay for a while, eh? The river rose again about 3 pm. Took a number of brook trout. But also a 8” rainbow with parr marks. And a 8-9” LL Salmon. Well, if its going to be an odd day, may as well enjoy it. Hope your day is splendid.

BobT said...

I'll hit both but I prefer the freestones just because of traffic. Water conditions look very good at the moment. Staying in Roscoe so Beaverkill, Willowemoc, Neversink, and the East and West Branch of the Delaware are my options. Obviously bug hatches are more predictable on the EB or WB but the Beaverkill is more fun to fish IMO.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Bill/Tully,

They must of been playing with the outflow.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Following on Bill Tully's comment, I was at the Swift on Friday and the flow was up to about 45-50 cfs.
I took about 20 Brookes over 6 hours, the vast majority on a size 20 Prince Nymph with a 6X tippet. The largest was a 12" that was colored up quite nicely. What caught my attention more than anything was the water temperature: it was warmer that I've ever experienced there before. Not sure if anyone noticed this ?

Tom from Boston

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Tom from Boston,

What you may have witnessed is the annual water turnover from Quabbin. I was fishing down in Bondsville in early October a few years ago and the water temperature was 64 degrees. PERFECT! When I made it back to the Gauge someone said the temp was 70! I checked it and it was 70. It appears that no harm was done because fishing was very good.

Ken

DRYFLYGUY said...

Ken, just an FYI. I noticed on the mass fall trout stocking list that apparently, they stocked
the Westfield in Chesterfield which is encouraging.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

DRYFLYGUY,

YESSSS!!! I just saw that. It's great news.

Ken