Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, September 8, 2022

Soft Hackles - Don't Leave Home Without Them

 


Partridge and Orange


I group all trout flies into two groups: one that represents aquatic insects and one that doesn't. The "doesn't" group( includes all streamers (imitation of baitfish),and all terrestrial insects (ants, bees and grasshoppers are not aquatic insects).  Now, it doesn't mean that I don't fish with these flies it's just tha I prefer to imitate aquatic insects either in the mature or immature stage. But maybe the underlying reason is that the most beautiful creature we will come in contact with while fishing, besides the trout, is the Mayfly!

This ephemeral, gossamer and dainty creature is too beautiful to live anywhere else but a trout stream.  I find plenty of specimens without killing any by just an visiting the stream side bushes and checking out the spider webs.  It's also a good opportunity to take some close up photos to help with the imitation that you will make.



Don't forget your soft hackles for this Fall Season. Chances are the river flows will be lower then normal which makes the SH the subsurface fly of choice. Sizes 14, 16 and 18 should do the job.


The rain earlier this week was perfect. No washout but just a good steady rain (unless you live in Rhode Island which go clobbered)  Local streams made out ok:

The Millers- from 40 cfs to 208 (perfect)

EB              - from 10 cfs to 114 (very good)

The Ware    -7 cfs to 72 It's a start

The Swift     110 cfs again.

One rainy day a week into November will give us some sport before things freeze up.  The above photo was taken last October on the Swift.  Signs of things to come.


Ken


12 comments:

DRYFLYGUY said...

Ken, the rain over the past few days was a welcome sight. Man, we needed it bad! I was looking at the Mass Fall trout stocking schedule, and the Westfield isn't on the list which is a bummer and no surprise. I know in years past, that river wasn't on the fall stocking list and then they end up stocking it which was great. This year I'm not sure where they stand with it? I sure hope they do stock it because that River is beautiful in the autumn, and I love Fly fishing it during the fall season. I guess we'll wait and see what happens.... Phil






i

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Phil,

Well, they (DFW) are doing it again. It appears that they don't want to stock the EB as happened just a few years ago by stating that the river was too low. It wasn't then and it's not now. It's at 80 cfs as I write and I have fished that flow before and did well. It also appears that the Suanny is off the list even though it's flowing at its 70 year average for this date. The Ware is on the list but is flowing below average.

Ken

JoeS said...

Ken,

Add me to the group who has been catching small brown trout on the swift. I caught 5” brown in Cady Lane this past week. Maybe!?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

JoeS,

The Ma DFW claims that there is NO successful spawning of browns in the Swift or at least very limited spawning. This is hard to believe seeing the prime examples of Salmo Trutta that lurk in that river. I don't think that first generation hatchery fish can grow to 15 lbs. Another question would be if brookies spawn like crazy in the Swift than why not browns??

Back about 4 years ago we had many LL Salmon come over the dam and spawn. Then we started catching 6 inch salmon that some anglers claimed were browns although photos proved otherwise. I'd like to see a photo of one of these fish to make sure.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Those Trutta submarines have been in the Swift since at least the early 60's cause I saw (didn't catch) them in the ponded areas above the dam. I am sure they have experienced successful spawnings!
The Kennebago Lake where I have taken a 28" brown (my retirement gift) hasn't been stocked since early 1900's and yet big browns are being taken from time to time. Never small ones, which surprises everyone, but these big ones aren't from the original stocking!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Everyone,

This is great!! More evidence that browns are spawning in the Swift regardless of what the experts say. Thanks for the photos (great evidence). Please send more photos of smallish browns with a good shot of the tail!

It appears that the Swift is developing it's own population of browns without the hand of man (aka the "survivor" strain on the Farmie)

Ken

Anonymous said...

How do we send photos? Or where do we send them I should say, I’ve caught multiple browns around or below the 10 mark that I swear are wild

Dean F said...

Hi Ken- I've caught some tiny browns in the Swift as well. They gott'a be coming from somewhere!

Anonymous said...

To reinforce the brown trout spawning discussion, I have caught 13 browns (not salmon) in the Swift this summer that measured between 4 and 10”. They were caught in 4 different areas, 3 far from the hatchery. So a few fish does not a fishery make, but I am convinced there are some wild browns on the Swift regardless of what the shock boys say. I’m sorry I don’t have pics but if you fish carefully downstream from the crib dam you should find one or two

Millers River Flyfisher said...

The only non spawning explanation would be that the DFW actually stocked small browns (not likely) or that there was a major "jail break" from the hatchery (that has happened before with rainbows). I'm leaning towards spawning!!

Ken

MDH said...

The question for the "doubters" would be - why WOULDN'T browns spawn in the Swift? It is not like it is marginal habitat and the usually environmentally sensitive brookies certainly manage to do well there even with the competition from the clonebows. Plenty of cover, good spawning gravel, resonably steady flows, etc. There are plenty of wild browns out this way in the tribs of the Deerfield, Hoosic, and Housatonic, I'm guessing maybe 50% of the blue lines I've sampled have browns in them alongside the brookies - Why not the Swift?

Mike from Pittsfield

Millers River Flyfisher said...

MDH,

About 3 years ago a DFW employee told me of the number of browns in the Swift. "A lot more than most people think" was his statement. The question is how many are stream born and how many are hatchery fish?

Ken