Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, October 28, 2022

The Copper Grouse Revisited


 

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" - Yogi Berra 



This may be my best fly for Fall run brookies and browns. The Copper Grouse has all the right elements to be a great fly - sparse grouse or partridge hackle, a copper body and an orange fur thorax.  Sizes 14 and 16 get it done.  


The Rivers

Things are a little screwy out there.  The Millers is roaring at 760 cfs, the Ware is calm at 155cfs, the Westfield is perfect at 132 cfs and the Swift is too high for my taste at 122cfs. I've always felt that 50 to 60 cfs is best for that stream and it'd spawning brookies.

BTW, the USGS has launched its new, enhanced stream data site and IMHO it's a great improvement.  Check it out!



We have one month of Fall fishing left. That Fall season ends when the first snow sticks to the ground.  Then it's Winter and that's another season with its own rules and strategies!!


Ken


 

 



3 comments:

Dean F said...

Great fly Ken- What type/model vise is that? I see a Regal base but it doesn’t look like a Regal?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Any idea what it imitates?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dean F,

I believe that the vise is an old model Griffin that I use a Regal base with. The vise handles hooks from size 2 to 32. I use it to tie tiny flies and for photographing flies. I use Regals for everything else.

Anonymous 1:49,

All soft hackles are generic flies that represent all aquatic insects.

Ken