Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Merry Christmas!!


  "No fly rod at any price is going to magically transform you into a Lefty Kreh or a Joan Wulff any more than a Stradivarius is going to turn your middle school violin student into Itzhak Perlman. And make no mistake: Itzhak Perlman could pick up a yard sale fiddle and extract soulful Tchaikovsky from it". - George Roberts, Tail Fly Fishing Magazine

It's been a strange year. The bone breaking drought last summer pretty much took the fun out of fishing my freestones and I can only take so much of the tailwater scene with the crowds and the rafts. My saltwater campaign was the worst I've ever had. (note to self: do more scouting). 

Fly tying carried me through the summer. As I've said to many that I've guided if I couldn't fly fish any longer I'd still tie flies!!

Merry Christmas, or whatever Holiday you celebrate, and have a very good New Year!!

Ken

13 comments:

Dave said...

Ken, Merry Christmas to you and don't ever forget that despite a not so great fishing season YOU continue to bring a gift to your blog readers and we love you even when you you're not catching fish!! PS not to pour salt into your wound but I had the best ever salt water season down here in Rhode Island. Happy New Year too. Dave

Steve Cote said...

Merry Christmas, Ken.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

And the same to you, Steve!


Dave,

No salt in these wounds. I like it when readers catch fish. I'll solve that problem next Spring.

Ken

Falsecast said...

Happy Holidays Ken and to everyone on this blog. Let’s hope for more water in 2023 and health and happiness for all!
Andrew

Dean F said...

A lifetime ago when I lived to ride my Harley I hated rain in the summer, these days not so much. Like you tying flies will get me through the next 3 months of dark, artic days.

Merry Christmas to you Sir!

Anonymous said...

Happy holidays to u and all. Ken the warm days of January can start your salt season off. Mousum in Maine the salter browns are calling. And a stop at maine dinner on way home. Tincup

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Bob (Tincup),

Good to hear from you too!! I hope all is well. Maybe we can hit a river this Spring.

Ken

Charles said...

Merry Christmas, Ken...and everyone else who participates on this blog.

I always learn something every time I read it, and I read it every time it's posted.

Not many fish came to my net this year, but there was one day right after a rain that the Millers rose to 300+ and remembering my long ago largemouth days in the Carolinas, I told my wife that I was going to run out to Kempfield and see if the smallies were active. The river was boiling with them, and I took 13 in 50 minutes. Non-stop fun.

Best wishes for better trout fly fishing waters in 2023.

Charles

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Charles,

Thank you and have a Happy Holiday season.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to all! BTW I've been meaning to ask for years about your main photo showing you netting a trout. Is that on the East Branch across from the gate?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

That photo was taken on the EB on the Bliss Pool which is just across from the "entering Bliss State Forest" sign. A great place.

Merry Christmas!!

Ken

Sam said...

Ken, wishing you a belated Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy 2023. I have not been able to fish since early November so I appreciate reading your posts as well of those from your readers. Over the years I have appreciated what I have learned on your site which has helped me with my fishing.

Regards, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Good to hear from you and I hope all is well. I hope 2023 brings you rising trout and tight lines.

Thanks for reading!!

Ken