Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, December 29, 2022

My Tiny Rods And Goodbye 2022

  "I strongly suspect that much of what we believe about a particular fly rod has little basis in reality. If you're shopping for a fly rod I can think of no greater waste of your time than watching the plethora of "fly rod shoot-outs" that glut the channels of YouTube. Nothing irks me more than to listen to some dweeb prattle on about the performance pros and cons of two rods when he's obviously not a good enough caster to do either one justice". -  George V. Roberts, - Acquisitions Manager, Tail Magazine and Casting Instructor


A few years ago my friend Brad nudged me into buying a short rod, namely the CGR 5ft 9 inch by Cabela's. I hated it from the start. It had the action of a buggy whip and that's what killed it for me.  I played with the possibility of selling it but a strange quirk in my personality keeps me from letting go of any fly rod. So it went into the closet and stayed there for a few years.

Then I revisited this little blue line from my past and decided to give this rod a workout. Cabela's labeled this a 3wt but I rigged it with a Wulff Triangle 2wt and that did the trick. I was able to keep my back cast out of the trees by just roll casting. (Triangle tapers are roll casting machines) This rig may force the retirement of my Tenkara rods which are a pain in the ass on brush chocked streams. The shorter rod with the appropriate sized reel makes landing the trout easy compared to Tenkara.

I'm working on a 6 foot bamboo rod to play on the same streams. Can't wait until May.

2022

This was not a good year on the fishing front.  Let's hope for less extreme weather in 2023.  A year or two without droughts and floods would be nice.


Happy New Year!


Ken

6 comments:

Hibernation said...

Happy New Year Ken!

Love my 5'6" 2# as well (Midwest Customs) for blue line fishing. It's also got a 2# Triangle Taper - fully agree, those lines are FANTASTIC for this application (I like em overall too)...

Glad you gave that rod a "re-try".

DRYFLYGUY said...

Ken, I actually considered the GCR not to long ago because I was thinking on getting into glass. But I reconsidered that particular rod and configuration because of its kind of Nitch use, as well as I already had a Cabela's 1wt clear creek model purchased back in 2010'ish that I use for blue lining. I didn't really need two rods designed for the same limited application, though now that I am thinking about it, the GCR would have been glass and the clear creek graphite, which would have been a cool casting difference. I also noticed that those GCR's are on clearance this week for $49.99 which is a great price for some blue line fun. Great topic!!....Phil

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Hibernation

We agree!!!

Dryflyguy,

You already have what you need and that is a good thing!!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

The moral of the story is often the fly line makes the flyrod! A fact that is too often overlooked, but results in some nice deals on the used flyrod marketplace!

Anonymous said...

Dear Ken,

When fishing the smallest streams I use my 6.5-foot fiberglass rod which I constructed as a teenager from an Orvis Fullflex blank and all-Orvis components. Late summer of 1970 found me lathe-turning a cork grip and reel seat, affixing guides with 'Orvis Brown' thread, and varnishing thread wraps while my college applications languished.

It was the best $18.35 I've ever spent, for fifty-two years later this little rod is still going strong; its short length avoids tangles with streamside brush and fires short-range casts with aplomb. And each use of this rod prompts memories of terrain explored and wild trout caught.

Happy New Year to you and your readership.

-Mike

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike,

"It was the best $18.35 I've ever spent"!!! And you can still get the job done with that rod instead of spending a Grand on the latest model.

Happy New Year!

Ken