Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

A Very Simple Emerger and Squannacook Reminiscing

 "If I couldn't fish any longer I would still tie flies." - Me


I have a lot of faith in this fly and have been successful with it in sizes 14 through 20. I tie it with a brown or olive body and with a grey wing stub.(note: a really think that ANY color will do as long as you match the size.)

Hook - light wire scud hook

Thread for the body - (Here's the fun part).  The thread is Coats & Clark All Purpose Thread found in the sewing section at Walmart. Now before you thumb your nose at that just be aware that Dan Trela, a great local fly tyer, uses that thread.

Wing Stub - a sparse amount of para post wing material in grey. This has become my favorite wing material.  It outfloats everything else and can take a beating.

Head - tie in some 12/0 thread and dub in a little brown or olive rabbit to make a head. Tie it with seed bead for the head and you have a neat small wet fly.

Back in the 1970's I used to fish the Squannacook all of the time with my favorite times being Summer evenings from Memorial Day through early Fall and I fished dry flies exclusively with an upstream presentation.  AND I CAUGHT BROWNS!!!!

My question is: Is that still the case. Are browns still the most numerous trout?


Ken

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ken. When I look at the picture, there appears to be a UV torch on your bench. If so, do you have a preferred UV resin?
Thanks.
Jeff J.

Zach said...

I actually went to the Squannacook on Monday on that warm day. Flow was 150 so I thought that might be high enough but no bites. What flow do you like the squannie at? If you ever want to fish it w me let me know! Love the squannie!

Zach Levenson

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Zach,

A lot of my favorite Squanny flows are below 70 cfs. I'd love to fish the Qquanny with you.

Jeff J.

No UV torch there, just a small flashlight.

Ken

zach said...

Looking forward to it! -Zach

Anonymous said...

Im new to this whole thing but having lots of fun. Any advice on where to fish the Squannie

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Zach,

Let's wait until Spring

Anonymous,
Hit Townsend Harbor off of Rt 119 for starters

Ken

Anonymous said...

Dear Ken,

Save for your fly's curved hook and absent shuck, it's identical to the Rivergod Emerger series originated by northern Michigan's Dennis Potter ca. 1985. Proof that great minds think alike!

-Mike

P.S. In correct sizes and colors, Rivergod patterns work quite well on the Swift (particularly during sulfur and olive hatches). I've used them for years.

Anonymous said...

Squannie - Bertozzi WMA. Nice and varied water.