Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Tenkara Revisited

 "I fish knowing that every moment on a stream is a gift." - Unknown


It was about 15 years ago when I ran into a Swift River regular, an excellent flyfisher and fly tier, above the Pipe.  We shot the bull for a few minutes then the topic drifted over to Tenkara angling. "They hook fish but boy, do they have a hard time landing them".

Truer words have not been spoken. Tenkara, the way that it was developed in Japan, is an artform.  It was intended by Japanese anglers to fish for small trout and LL salmon in mountain streams. And it wasn't a catch and release situation.  These anglers ate these fish or sold them and their long limber rods could certainly handle the situation.

Fast forward to the present and we have tenkara anglers hooking  and, and many times, playing the trout to exhaustion. (if anglers play trout to death on the Swift with conventional tackle it will certainly happen with tenkara). The trout on our rivers are much larger  and harder to horse in.When I was guiding a tenkara angler who would hook into a 14 inch or better fish I would take position downstream with a net to end the battle quickly.  The solo angler can't do that.  Ending the battle quickly really counts on our freestone streams where higher temperatures could put that trout over the edge.

Don't hang up your tenkara rods but use them where they are meant to be used: hill country streams where the trout are 4 to maybe 10 inches long and you and catch and release quckly (if you want!)

Early Spring

Don't bet on it.  I remember the Winter of 2006/2007 where it was warm right into January but then iced up in February with huge ice dams up in the Bears Den  Only 60 days until April.


                                                                                          Bears Den Feb. 2007

Ken

P.S. Yes, Tenkara is a form of fly fishing!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Early on tenkara was sold as a method that would work anywhere. It works until you hook a big fish then you can kill it trying to land it. It's for small streams and small fish.

GW

Dean F said...

Well put Ken. I see the allure in the simplicity of tenkara but have avoided it for the reasons you stated. I have no desire to kill fish large or small.

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken - Ultimately, how anyone wants to fish is fine by me, but I have never seen the value of Tenkara? It’s not like it’s some natural trend that people discovered some ancient Japanese form of fishing, it was a marketing plan from the Patagonia CEO. My thing with Tenkara is (though admittedly I have never tried it) it seems any decent nympher should be able to master it, but I doubt I if it works the other way around? It seems cool if you were on a backcountry horse pack trip or something and you need a small, telegraphic rod. Outside of that I just don’t see the appeal? I didn’t know about the fact that users play out trout , which as you point out happens without Tenkara, but it just seems like another knock against this, well, fad?? Am I missing something, I tell people to just learn how to nymph and skip the Tenkara stuff if I am every asked.

tincup said...

the stay off the redds signs are up At least a step in the right direction lets see if continue talk about no stocking of rainbows could also happen



Tincup

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Thank you Tincup!!!

Ken

MDH said...

Saw a Youtube video of Tenkara guys fishing for BIG trout, I think in New Zealand. The strategy, if the fish took off downstream, was to jump in after it and take a swim! I ran into a Japanese gentleman once up on a remote section of the Mad River up in NH, and we alternated fishing upstream one summer afternoon. He showed me his rod - it was a beautiful hand-crafted bamboo Tenkara. I was doing as well as I usually do up there, but this guy was the Mr. Myagi of Tenkara, and was outfishing me two to one. I don't think it was necessarily the equipment, the guy was just a great fisherman.

Good to hear about the signs on the Swift

Mike from Pittsfield

Anonymous said...

Hi all, I am looking for a spot on the Millers that would lend itself to success for 10 college students come April 29th. I just initiated a full semester, credited fly fishing class at Salem State College and plan to take them on this field trip to the Millers. I am only familiar with the Trestle Pool, which I am now thinking is not the best place to take beginners. I think I am looking for a place that is convenient to the cars, yet would put the students on fish; either trout or smallies. Can anyone recommend a place. The plan is to meet at 4pm for the evening hatch. Again, I am looking for my students to experience a positive outcome, yet be safe and if someone should fall in, easy access to the cars for a clothing change. Any ideas? Thanks. Craig

Anonymous said...

Saw some video of Tenkara. Was not impressed by the so called "art form"
that this type of fishing entailed. Too much stress on the fish.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 10/15 10:12,

It works very well when the trout are small. They can be brought to the net quickly. I've heard of accounts where steelhead are hooked and the angler has to run downstream to keep up with the fish. This happens on the Swift and EB. Trout, in the 12+ range, in these CR rivers shouldn't have to endure this garbage.

Ken