Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, February 11, 2023

Seed Beads Get It Done

 

Like most fly crafters I will add some weight in the form of a tungsten or brass bead to get the desired sink rate but the above mentioned materials seem to overwhelm the small flies.(size 16 and smaller) I like a more moderate sink rate and you can get that with a little item known as a seed bead.




First of all, they are made out of plastic and have just the right amount of density to cut through the surface tension.  Second, they come in a million colors although I find that olive and brown are all you need. Third, where do you find them?  Go to any craft or hobby store and head to the "bead section".  I use size 11/0 and they work fine.


Well, we are half way past February and except for a brutal cold snap last week it has been an easy winter. Let's hope for an easy Spring!!

Ken



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Hobby stores are full of great fly tying materials. That's been my source for craft fur for salt water streamers.

T.O.

BobT said...

Interesting timing...I saw a few videos this week on using glass beads. Probably have a tiny bit more density than the plastic one but I use them fairly often on midges and small nymphs and wets. They are super cheap and can add a nice touch to some flies depending on how tied in. I've been using glass beaded rs-2 imitations with excellent results fishing under the surface for several years.

DRYFLYGUY said...

Ken, I like these flies of yours that look very simple and are probably very effective flies/nymphs, which are right in my wheelhouse. I personally like those type of flies and ties using simple technics along with simple and minimal materials.

Thanks for all the inspiration over the years....Phil