Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Flood Update

 



No, I didn't catch this brown recently because the rivers have gone crazy.  As of this morning the river flows are as follows:

Millers - 3000 cfs

Swift - 716 cfs

EB - 1830 cfs

Ware - 841cfs

I believe that this is the highest I've ever seen these flows and I'm not being overly cautious by saying that you shouldn't even attempt wading flows as dangerous as these.  These rivers could drop by 80% and they would still be too high. I could suggest a "thin blue line" but they may be flooded too.

Hold your horses and take a deep breath, Real Spring will be here shortly followed by a bone crunching drought (most likely)!!

Tie Flies

Ken


8 comments:

Dean F said...

Temps are forecast to be decent over the next few days, dry and without the God cursed wind that seems to last from March until May around here. The extra daylight means I have enough light to fish after work and I have a bunch of #16 and #18 spring nymphs tied up and ready to drift just above the bottom. Damn...these flows are really disappointing! It's been feast or famine in terms of rainfall lately. Oh well it's back to the vise-

Anonymous said...

The blue lines here are flooded.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dean F and Anonymous,

Some of the small streams are dropping. Some rain Sunday but then nothing for about a week.

Ken

Miles said...

I got my first ever trout on my first two visits to the Swift, in February; now I'm catching up on the tying that I meant to do this winter and didn't.

MDH said...

Wow that's crazy - Swift gauge says it's at an all time high for this day. Do you think anything will come over the spillway (salmon or smallies)?

It's not so bad here out west, Housy is high like it always is this time of year, but the Hoosic is a decent flow - fishing was slow Wednesday but I got a 23" brown in the VT stretch which could be the fish of the year. The brookies were also cooperating yesterday on a local blue line - they were hitting a big (#10) purple Adams that I had tied on as an indicator for the pink SJ worm dropper I figured they would eat LOL. Eventually I took off the worm and just fished the dry - Fun!

Mike from Pittsfield

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike,

If it were October or November I would say yes on the salmon. A few years ago we had a wet Spring and smallies and pickerel came over the top.

Ken

Charles said...

On Tuesday, I went out to a few North Worcester County blue lines that I frequently fish. A sinker and a worm might have worked, but not any fly I had. They were roaring. But it does look like they are backing off a little here at the start of another week.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Charles,

Maybe a glow bug with some drop shot?? It's raining again as I write this!!!!

Ken