Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, April 18, 2024

Once Upon A Time........

 

"Give a man a fish and he has food for the day. Teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend." - Zenna Schaffer

Red Quill


The dry fly was created in Jolly Olde England by a Mr. Frederic Halford. Samples were sent by mail to a Mr. Theodore Gordon in the USA who immediately began to modify them. This transaction changed the lives of both of these men and anyone who else who liked the idea of catching trout on a floating fly.


The first generation of transatlantic flies floated on stiff hackle tips and really didn't look much like the natural aquatic insects they were supposed to imitate. Improvements came quickly in the form of better floatants, thinner tippet material, better roosters and a million other things that has jacked up the price of our pastoral pastime into the thousands of dollars not counting travel and lodging expenses!

The mantra of many of us is: If I can afford it I'll do it. That is music to the ears of me, a former salesman. But my head still spins when I think of a guy I met who was into the sport for less than 10 years but had over 50 fly rods. I told him that they have treatments for that compulsion. 

He just laughed!


The rivers are dropping.



6 comments:

Bill/Tully said...

I used one of your orange soft hackle flies today on the East Swift. The fly made the afternoon very pleasing. Nice!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Good to hear from you Bill. The Partridge and Orange always works!!

Ken

hockey_dad said...

Hi Ken- when fishing this AM I broke off the tip of my Douglas Fly Rod. I got a couple of fish
in this river ( South Western MA near the RI border) yesterday and needless to say I was a bit
ticked off. I think they will replace the rod but I'm considering upgrading to a Bamboo rod; any thoughts on a bamboo rod I should consider.

Hope your ankle is coming along well. I broke mine about 25 years ago running in January. It was a slow recovery ( 6 months)

Hockey

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Hockey,

Unless you want to drop a grand on bamboo without a good warranty or cast beadheads I'd stick with graphite.

Ken

Miles said...

Hello Ken I have a very basic question...... when looking at rivers after rain, why do you (and everyone else) always reference the CFS instead of the gauge height? When I go to the USGS website the default view is GH. I always change it to CFS because that's what everyone else seems to look at, but I am wondering what makes CFS more important. Thank you.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Miles

I reference the CFS because everyone does. Gauge height means nothing to me. I don't even know why that measurement is used.

Ken