Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Old School Tying

 

"When your friend on the next pool tells you that he's just seen a few "Sulphurs" hatching he is really just suggesting a fly pattern, because the name might mean anything from a size 24 Baetid to a size 10 Anthopotamus Distinctus, two insects with very different behavior.- Thomas Ames Jr.


It was back in the mid 1990's when we had a good Spring flood, nothing like this year, but still epic.  It didn't keep me off the Millers but it kept me fishing from the shore and fishing from the shore sucks.  So did the tackle I concocted to get the distance and depth required: a 9 ft 8wt loaded with mono running line. At the business end of this mess was one of a few lead jig hooks  tied up to look and act like shad flies.

Long story short.  I caught a few clonebows and then went home realizing that there is more to fishing than catching fish and if I'm not casting a REAL fly line I'm not flyfishing and if my fly resembles a depth charge instead of an insect I'm also not flyfishing.

I would rather fish with the fly pictured above than with a day glow bead head any day. 

It's just me but probably not you!!

The Rivers - 

Millers - 779

Swift    - 615

EB       -688

Ware    - 242  The Ware is your best bet


Ken

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ken,

I too prefer to fish imitative flies of my own manufacture, tied from fur and feather in natural colors. While I tie beadheads and coneheads to give to others, I don't fish them myself - too great a risk to my rod tips! I also agree that casting heavily-weighted flies with sinking lines can be a chore which quickly takes the fun out of trout fishing. However, sometimes these are essential to success:

1) Big water/big fish - On the brawling rivers of Alaska and Labrador sink head lines are a necessity. With a density-compensated, one-piece 150-grain sink head line (I use a Wet Tip Express) I can fish almost any wilderness river with confidence.

2) Saltwater fly fishing - Except for poppers and gurglers, SWFF is all about fishing streamers at the right depth; 250-grain and 350-grain sink head lines matched to my 9-weight rods get the job done.

Modern density-compensated, one-piece sink head lines (preferably with floating running lines) are vast improvements over older two-piece sinking line systems. The 150-grain is a particular favorite of mine - casts like a bullet without injury to my wrist, forearm, and elbow.

-Mike

Dean F said...

“It's just me but probably not you!!” Hey Ken- from worms and bobbers to euro rods, as long as people are respecting the fish and environment I’m happy to see them enjoying themselves. For me though traditional fly fishing with traditional flies is what it’s all about. I love tying winged wets and soft hackles and when conditions allow that’s what I’m using. There is an addicting Zen that comes from the cast, drift, repeat routine, suddenly broken on the take. An angler with perdigons on a euro set up will do better on most days but so what? As you said there is more to fly fishing than just catching fish.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sound advice Mike. Thank you!!

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dean F,

Tom Dorsey of Thomas & Thomas rods said the same thing a few years ago. As for perdigon flies, I guided a gent who insisted on using them on the slow water of Cady Lane and after 10 minutes all he caught were weeds. We switched to a SH and everything was fine.

Ken

Andrew Milmore said...

you really love confirming that you hold this stance lol

Anonymous said...

The flows have come down enough to swing a wet fly. There's a good Hendricks hatch on the Farmington right now