Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

A Simple Emerger And Book Your Trip

3/27 - The Swift has been stocked
3/27 - LOST by the Rt 9 C/R parking lot: an 8wt orvis recon rod and case and a 5wt white river rod w/case. Lost in early January.  Contact me and I'll reunite everything - Ken

"The more things change the more they stay the same" - Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr (He was not talking about tight line nymphing but could have")





As I've said many times before the surface disturbance caused by most rising trout is caused by the trout rising for an emerging insect and NOT to an adult insect. Having a good imitation of this life stage is critical. The Comparadun series does a very good job and Bob Wyatt's DHE emerger works even better. Hears another to try out.

I found this style while mindlessly drifting through the web. The key here is the shape of the hook which is bent downward in front. The hook style is available online but I made my own and it was easy.


Tying is simple -

Hook - standard dry fly from #14 through 20

Tail - very fine synthetic post wing material, I like grey

Body - dubbing of your choice

Hackle - Your choice of color BUT you want it one or two sizes SMALLER than the hook size

Wing - a small amount of synthetic post wing maerial

Head - Notice that the wing and hackle are mounted on at the "bend" in the hook (almost in the center.) Now dub your choice of body in front of the post and hackle.

This fly looks like a mayfly that's stuck in the surface film and that's what you want. BTW, I use my stout Regal Vise to bend the hook into shape!

BOOK IT

Things are getting busy and my calendar is starting to tighten up.  April, May and June are prime months and they are right around the corner so don't wait.  




Connor Pond in Petersham was stocked last week. This pond was formed by damming the East Branch of the Swift River which is the closest the DFW has come to stocking moving water. It won't be long now!!!

Ken





10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Double Dirty Duster an even easier tie for an emerger.

Hibernation said...

Ahhhh the EBS... My favorite river :)

I like that fly Ken. It's as if someone took a klinkhamer and said: "I dont feel like dealing with the whole parachute thing, I'm just hackling this up regularly... Looks fishy, straight forward to tie... a winner for sure.

Enjoy the warming days!
Will

Herm said...

Good-looking fly, Ken!

I used to bend my hooks that way too in order to get the thorax of my emergers to dip below the surface film. In the meantime, though, I've switched to the Daiichi 1160 Klinkhamer hooks - well worth the money, in my book

Best, Herm

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

Double Dirty Duster,


Enlighten me and the rest of us. Sounds good!

Will,

I knew you would respond!! I can hardly wait until mayflies start popping up!

Herm,

I saw those hooks but I'm a DIY kind of guy. Maybe someday I'll make my own hooks (yeah, right!!!)

Ken




D

Sam said...

Love the fly, Ken. It brings to mind what Vince Marinaro did with his flies with the hackle and wing in the middle. Still one of my favorite books about fly fishing, his Modern Dry Fly Code.

Best, Sam

Unknown said...

I heard today that Comet Pond has been stocked too.

Anonymous said...

Bob Wyatt's Dirty Duster tied by Hans Weilmann. Use your hook with dubbed fur body, thorax thickly hackled to eye, trimmed flush.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Yes, Vince Marinaro and his Thorax flies. I used to tie a lot of them. I still tie my griffiths gnat with hackles over the thorax.

Anonyous,

Thank you for the tip!!

Ken

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken - I was out there for a couple of hours today above rte 9 and didn’t see many fish. It was my first time up there in months. I worked around the edges and cast small nymph rigs, but nothing. I didn’t go near the bridge, however, and would have never guessed they stocked yesterday. It wasn’t crowded at all and you wouldn’t have known the trucks came. It was nice to see, actually. The high flow will spread those guys out to to be caught later. I am very happy about that. The stocking slaughter at 55 cfs was getting old. Now when the flows drop there should be Rainbows everywhere. I think this is very good news. Now, I just hope that Brooke spawn wasn’t too badly affected.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Falsecast,

I'm surprised the place wasn't crowded. Maybe they were down by the Pipe! I have a feeling that we may have missed a year class of brook trout.

Ken