Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, March 17, 2019

River Updates, Booking trips, Happy St. Patricks Day And Don't Drink And Drive!

"At the little jingle in the leader that was just a hair too intelligent looking to be nothing but current or a rock, you raise the rod to set the hook, and there's weight. And then there's movement - it's a fish!!  - John Gierach



Ok, let's start with the Swift. The great salmon fishing of November through January has slowed down and the salmon have spread out. You will still see one or two in a river section but the days of seeing a dozen in one area are gone. Don't feel too bad because the trout have stepped up their game above route 9 with blood midges ruling the day.  In fact, there has been some pellet hatch

activity at the Pipe and that's with 330 cfs for a flow!! There appears to be plenty of trout but the trick is to get the fly low and slow enough enough so they can get a shot at it.

The Bubbler Mess

Well, they started up logging again along the bubbler arm and have dumped numerous trees into the river which I'd like to see them remove. Naturally fallen trees are one thing but purposely dumping logs into the river is another!!!

The rivers are starting to come down (except for that Friday bounce in the flow) and the central Ma. snow pack is receding which is a good thing.  It's time to check your calendars and book a date or two to fish our rivers.  Many rivers will be stocked by April so don't wait too long.

I'm really getting hooked on blood midges. To the best of my knowledge it was the only fly that worked at the Y Pool on Friday. Sizes 16 -22 fill the bill.  Email me if you want to place an order at $1.80 each.

BTW, trout stocking has begun on the Cape/south shore.  Yeah, I know - big deal!!!

Ken





7 comments:

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken - I never made it out to the Swift the other day, but I will this week for sure. What I think will happen with the logs is that they'll settle and the first time they increase the flow this summer for the CT river, the logs will flow into the main stem. I assumed it would be good for bug life and provide a little shelter. I've wondered myself what the effects of all the tree cutting will be. Do you know why they are doing it?

Sam said...

Ken,

I hit Bondsville yesterday for 3 hours, but nothing doing. The water flow was much more manageable for wading though which was welcome. I fished a number of zones that I would not have ventured into a month or so ago. I thought I would get some action, but didn't.

I think this amount of flow will be a lot of fun once the water warms up some, a lot of uniform currents which will aid both sub surface and dry fly drifts. Plus the soon to be stocked trout should spread out quickly with this flow.

Not fishing today, my wife and I took a drive up to Winsor Dam to look at Quabbin. There was some open water, but it was mostly still locked with ice. That water is plenty cold feeding the Swift whether from up top or below. The mid 30's water temp while fishing yesterday did my knees a lot of good. Cady Lane had two cars parked there, the Route 9 parking lot had maybe a half dozen.

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Falsecast,

I don't think those logs will move with a high summer flow of 120 cfs which is about as high as it gets in the bubbler. I wouldn't mind seeing those logs in the flat dead sections below the power lines.

The trees that they are cutting are the ones I refer to as plantation pine. The CCC planted them by the millions during the depression and when Quabbin was built. Row after row of identical trees with nothing else growing. And now all the trees are getting old at once. It's best to get rid of them but not in the bubbler arm.

Sam,

I saw that Quabbin was open about a 1/2 mile from the dam. Last Thursday I recorded 38 degrees at the Pipe. This time of year it would actually cool off before it hits Bondsville.

I was thinking of fishing today but that wind was horrible!!

Ken

bfb said...

Hi Ken,

Recently I was given a 13' Keiryu rod as a gift. I've had many years of fun high sticking a pair of nymphs or swinging wets with a traditional fly rod and I really enjoy doing online research... so I think I have a decent idea of how to create an appropriate sized fluorocarbon level line leader for this new rod. However, I am at a loss regarding how to rig the terminal "tippet" end so as to 1) protect the rod with nothing heavier than the recommended 6x material, 2) keep the flies down in the feeding zone w/o constantly losing the whole rig, 3) play a large fish that I might encounter on the Swift R. or WB Delaware w/o a reel. If you have the time I would greatly appreciate reading any suggestions you have on these topics.

Again, thanks so very very much for sharing your wisdom on this blog. It's fun to read and a treasure of a resource.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

bfb,

As I understand it a Keiryu rod is a larger "tenkara style" rod that can be used for bait fishing as well as casting flies.

Forget the "fluorocarbon level line leader" and get at least 13 feet of the appropriate sized monofilament line in a very visible hot color. This is your CASTING LINE. Now you can attach your leader (5 feet of 5x) to the casting line. The leader can be fluro if you like.

I don't like furled casting lines because they are too heavy and I don't like to buy mono casting lines because they are too expensive for what you get. I make my own and here's how:
Find the appropriate sized line for the rod (usually found on the handle)and then get the diameter of the line off the internet.

Go to a sporting goods store and buy a spool of fluorescent mono line of the same diameter. You now have plenty of line for all the tenkara line for that rod (actually most rods). This works all of the time.

Don't go down to 6x. You will lose too many fish because you can't play them off the reel. 5x is all you need on the Swift.

Ken

Gary said...

On the WB today from 10am to 2pm,air temp was 41 to 50 degrees, water 38 degrees. Little black stones alive on the river around size 16-18 so thats what I tied on. River was fishable, flow was actually low for this time of year, although in some places ice is stacked up on the banks about 5' high. I saw no other anglers but there were a few cars in the regular places. It was good to be out there again and its only the beginning.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

It's good to see a fishing report. It must be Spring!!

Ken