Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Another Primer - The Millers

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it.  What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore" John Gierach


The Millers has been my "Home River" since 1984 when I moved into that watershed. I spent decades exploring all parts of that river from Birch Hill to Millers Falls and and picked the brains of local legends like Rodney Flagg and Bob Rollo as to the river's fly fishing history. That bit of work was necessary because there was a 20 or so year span where the Millers was not stocked because of pollution and therefore not fished. When I wrote my Millers Guide I used the old names of pools and runs whenever possible and didn't rename any. It just seemed right!!!

This is a big river which means that much of it will not receive angling pressure. The areas that do are: Orcutt Brook (easy access, easy wading, easy casting, lots of fish) and the Kempfield Section. Most other places such as the Upper Trestle Pool, The Bridge Street Pool, Erving Center, Rezendes Pool, the UTD Pool and most of the Bears Den go under fished for most of the season. Beware of any reports claiming knowledge of the Millers that start and end with fishing Orcutt or the Kempfield OR refuse to name the fishing locations.  Chances are the reports are from those with very limited knowledge of the Millers and couldn't name the locations even if they wanted to! Also beware of statements that claim that this is a beginners river and it's easy fishing. If you like to hang out at stocking points right after a stocking then the fishing will be easy. If you like fishing for sipping browns at nightfall during the summer, well that's another story!!!


What Kind Of River

This is a classic big freestone River which means your Farmington and Swift River strategies should be left at home. Attempting to fish this river on an 85 degree day at midday between Memorial Day and Labor Day would not be a wise choice but fishing it at 5am or after 7pm, especially on an overcast day is a good decision. For over 35 years evenings in the Summer have produced the best.




What Kind Of Flies

Pick what you want for the recent stockers because like stockers everywhere they will hit anything. Buggers, beadheads, costume jewelry and any dayglo garbage flies but after the trout have wised up you need: Soft Hackles size 12-14, Hares Ears or my Possum Nymph in size 14-16, Comparaduns in size 14-18 and some stimulators and BWO in size 18-24, especially in October, will start you off.

What Kind Of Rod

Don't get silly and start flinging a 3wt here. Early season means a heavier rod for heavier flies. The wind on this river, because of it's east/west flow, means you will always have a breeze blowing up the river valley and light lines will not cut it (I rigged up a 3wt by mistake one evening and had the line blown back in my face. The Millers is made for a 5 or 6wt rod and leaders need not be finer than 4 or 5x for most occasions.




Fish the Millers!!

Ken


11 comments:

Sam said...

Ken, I surely enjoy these river primers. They make for great reading and education on a winter's night. I appreciate what you do here on your blog site.

Regards, Sam

Anonymous said...

Marshall, Craig
Wed, Mar 6, 9:06 PM (7 hours ago)
to me

Hello Ken,

My name is Craig, Im relatively new to your blog and also some what new to the sport. I am really enjoying your content and your methodology to fly fishing. I was hoping you could direct me to your millers river guide. I have never fished there before due to some negative press I've read about it.

I was also wondering what your guiding rates are because I think I would really benefit from the experience.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Craig,
First, thank you for reading the blog and attached is my guide
My rates are on my blog and are easily found.

The Millers does get some negative press which it doesn't deserve.

Best,
Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Thank you Sam. This terrible winter is coming to an end!!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Looks like Saturday may be a half decent day with Sunday looking like a mess. Wondering if the Pipe is fishable.

Joe D

Sam said...

Ken,

Indeed the dark days are coming to an end. Pushing the clock ahead by an hour will sure help out with my fishing opportunities.

Being that these primers so far are about freestone streams, I would like to bring up the Quaboag River. First hand I can say this stream warms up plenty in the summer. So warm one time it seemed lethal for trout to me and I didn't fish, though there was something rising on the opposite bank.

Yet when I fished it in the fall that same year, I netted a very silvery brown that looked wild born to me along with a brook trout that looked every bit as native as those I have caught elsewhere including the Swift. All I can figure is the trout find some cold water somewhere, maybe springs coming out of the stream bed or brooks that feed it.

It sure is a gift all the streams we have around where we live. When I retire in a couple of years I will do much more exploring and also grouse hunting again in the Fall.

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,
"All I can figure is the trout find some cold water somewhere, maybe springs coming out of the stream bed or brooks that feed it." YOU NAILED IT!!!! There are cool water seepages in all freestones. I've seen trout lined up below tiny trickles on the Millers and the Squannacook rivers in the dead of summer. As soon as Fall comes they spread out. Rhat's the beuty of freestones.

Ken

Anonymous said...


Ken, would you happen to know what’s up with the Swift River Brook Trout? Haven’t seen any in forever, growing a little concerned. Perhaps you could shed some light on my worries?

Best, Brookie Catch & Release

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 11:07,

Actually nothing happened to the brookies. The last 6 or so years we had normal flows (50-60 cfs) during spawning time and the BT were very visible. This year we had flows of 300+ cfs and 1. We couldn't see them as much OR 2. they stayed off the traditional spawning beds because of the flow. I found lots of them but they couldn't be fished for because of the flow. In late October I saw HUNDREDS of them staging down in Cady Lane.

I believe the high flow since November just kept them off the spawning beds.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Thanks, mind at ease. Just await Spring and lower slower flows. Much appreciated, love these little guys!

Best, Brookie Catch & Release


Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

I'm waiting for Spring too!!! I've had it with this subarctic bullshit!!! Give me Hendricksons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken