Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Dreaming Of The Ware


"Carp Diem does not mean "fish of the day"- Author Unknown



My client and I were about to take our first step into the Ware River that afternoon in early May when we saw/heard this other angler leaving the water. "Be careful. I'm covered with ticks" was the warning. Weird, I saw him in the river a half hour before so how could he be covered with ticks? The Answer: Those weren't ticks crawling on him but a few dozen Quill Gordon nymphs!!!

Welcome to the Ware River!

This is a fly fishing river,period. To earn that label you must have great flows (dry fly and swinging soft hackles does it for me, bouncing heavy nymphs "not so much"), great great insect hatches and plenty of trout. The Ware is a fertile river by evidence of it's hatches and two hatches that you don't want to miss are the above mentioned Quill Gordon hatch and of course, the Hendricksons.

The Quill Gordon is similar to the Hendrickson but is a size smaller (think a size 12 compared to a size 14), doesn't swim to the surface before it sheds its skin and then flies away. It sheds its skin on the stream bottom and then rises to the surface as a mature insect. That may be why wet flies work so well during QG time!! It only has 2 tails  instead of 3 tails as compared to the Hendrickson and most other mayflies and that's the true give-a-way.
 


The Hendrickson follows the rules for emergence. Prime time for these insects is dependent on water temperatures but look for low 50's for the QG and mid 50's for it's bigger cousin.

There are a million imitations for these insects which is almost a million too many. A Quill Gordon soft hackle may be all that you need for the QC and that would include the spinner fall.  Take your pick for your Hendrickson flies. Remember, both insects get active in the morning, emerge by mid day or so and swarm by late afternoon and early evening.



                                                                                 photo by Thomas Ames Jr.

March Browns call the Ware home and you will see them by mid May right into early July. BWO say hello in September right through November especially on cloudy, cool days.

BTW, you will not run into any real crowds on this river and most of the time you will be fishing alone. That is because the Swift River is just down the road and that draws many away from the Ware. Maybe the river is too "rural" for some and they feel more comfortable and safe in a park-like setting such as the Swift or the Farmington. ( I say that because I was told that!!)

My experience is that the Ware will provide the first GOOD, reliable surface activity of any central/western Ma river!!!  Go fish it!

Spring Is Here

Ok, well almost!! This week should really kick off severe cases of cabin fever as the temperatures kiss 50 degrees. The Swift is very fishable above route 9 at 343 cfs.  That may change by Friday. Even the Millers is starting to behave at 452cfs. I bet those Fall stockers are really hungry by now!!!

Ken








15 comments:

Sam said...

Love these river primers, Ken, and have been looking forward to this one on the Ware River. No doubt I will drift some dry flies there this upcoming season. I tied up a number of Catskill flies including quill gordons this winter after I got tired of tying up ample quantities of my usual suspects. I hope they connect.

Best, Sam

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

Nice write-up on the Ware today, I'd love to try that some time!

Hey, can you please forward me your free tutorial on the Millers? I'd love to read that and give it a try also.

Thank you,

Steve

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

I'm sure your Quill Gordons will do the trick on the Ware this Spring.

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Steve,

Done!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hello Ken,

I have been reading your blog for a while now and have mostly been fishing the swift when I have the chance. But due to living near and working in the city haven't had the time off to make many trips. But have always wanted to get out and try the Millers and was hoping that you wouldn't mind sharing your river guide with me?

I am a Veteran who likes to bring other veterans along with me on these trips so any advice to this location would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Josh L.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Josh L,

email me your email address because I have a veteran who wants to get it touch with you.

Ken

Anonymous said...


to me

Hi Ken, just wanted to say thanks for your blog. We've never met, but since I first started fishing the Swift once a month or so since the fall, I've been a regular reader/lurker.
That's where I learned about the P&O, so after tying a few, and not having much luck with anything, other than a freak day back in mid January where I landed 6 rainbows on some big wooly buggers, I gave up on the P&O until yesterday where I couldn't get a take until about 3 hours in. Landed 1 rainbow on an olive bugger, and then nothing for an hour, until I went back to the P&O....But this time, I suspended it under an indicator and added a splitshot to get it down. First cast, landed a rainbow. Then over the next 2-3 hours, landed 5 more using the same method (that's a lot, for me!). Dead drifting those P&Os was the magic for me yesterday. They were hitting on the drift too, all of them, not on the swing. The P&O made my day!
Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for the blog and the wealth of information. The photos of flies you post really help as I like to tie my own if I can...some patterns I don't have the skill level for yet, but some I can. Keep up the good work!
I probably will run into you in person some day, so I will say hello when we cross paths

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Lewis,

Glad that you like the blog and that you are picking up some hints and pointers. You had a very good day yesterday!!!!!!! Our paths will cross for sure!

Ken

bigmster127 said...

just curious what does everybody think the water temps are on local rivers deerfield, ware, and the millers river? im sure the fish are still sluggish thanx

Millers River Flyfisher said...

bigmster127,

The Swift is still in the 30's and I would guess the other rivers that are lined with snow/ice are the same.

Patrick,

Info sent!!

Ken

Bob O said...

Ken,

Thanks for your river reviews. This year I'm going to take the extra twenty minutes past the Swift to explore the Gilbertville stretches of the Ware. Been tying dries, and looking forward to making a few drifts on this stream.

The Swift's flow will probably bump a little with today's rain. Seems like the 300's will stand until the leaves begin to emerge, or Boston gets super thirsty.

I appreciate the tenure of your blog, and the reader comments. Plenty of good stuff in the back issues.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Bob O,

Thanks for the good words!

Gilbertville is an interesting place.You will be catching trout amidst 19th century industrial ruins and five minutes later you are in a pastoral setting. The insect hatches on that river are amazing!!!

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bigmster127 said...

just curious are the salmon below the rt 9 bridge has anybody tried in this section? ive been hearing rumors that they are in the flyfishing section hanging around the y pool is this true? you would think with all the high water we had they would be well dispersed and everywhere. thanx

Millers River Flyfisher said...

bigmster127,

Where have you been for the last 5 months??????

Here's the skinny = when quabbin overflowed in October hundreds of salmon went over the spillway into the Swift and have stayed above RT 9 providing great fishing. Some may have gone below RT 9 but I can't verify that anyone has caught any down there.

Ken