Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, July 26, 2019

Changes On The Swift

I barely ever use 7x...maybe on a few super tiny flies but I only buy a spool every year to keep it fresh not because its gone. I fished the highly technical South Platte in Co for the last 7 years...presentation is king. The really good fishermen never really use anything below 5x except on occasion for the tiny bugs. I used to use 6x and 7x on the Swift exclusively but realize after many years that I was probably casting from the wrong spot more often than not. You hit the nail on the head Ken..
to all readers here there is a lot of great information randomly dispersed throughout Kens blog...well worth the time to go through it-you will be a better angler. Thank Ken for his great blog. - Comment from Dan T on July 15 2016


The Swift - Back To Normal
Well, It had to happen sometime and that "happening" is that the Swift River has been "turned down" to its historic flow for this date. Yesterday at noon it was moving along at 100 cfs. Then it dropped to 38 cfs, the historical average for this date. Now, I know some that liked the higher flow but I really like the historical average - ultra skinny water and spooky trout!!!

LOST KEYS

A set of truck (?) keys were lost this past week at the Gauge parking lot.  If you find them notify me and I'll contact the owner.

The "New" Tree Pool

Another tree has fallen into the "Tree Pool" and this is pretty much dead center, about a 100 feet below the PIPE RUN. We can't blame the beavers for this one as it appears to be a random event. I guees now I'll have something to lean up against when I need to take a break!!!

Another Shocking Survey

That's right!! July 30, 31 and August 1. The question is what is to be learned from this exercise and when will we learn it? After all, this is our river!!!

Skinny Water
When the flow dropped on Wednesday on the Swift angler numbers dropped off.  I know the story:  "I could look down on 16 inch deep water and there was nothing there" as the story goes. My guys took bows, browns, yes browns, and brookies in that kind of water and none of those fish came from popular, heavily fished sections.  We fished slow and low with size 18 olive soft hackles and that did the trick!


A Good Swift River Brown
BTW, in that skinny, gin clear water we never went smaller that 5x and didn't have to!!!!


Ken












9 comments:

Unknown said...

Swinging soft hackles I never go below 5x, reluctantly use 6x for drys, and IF tempted with 7X (tiny fly eyes) use no more than a foot. I agree that presentation is far more important.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Unknown,

Very good points. If you tie your own flies then those "tiny fly eye" problems can be eliminated with wide eye hooks.

Ken

Gerry said...

Hi Ken,
On Monday I was fishing the Swift and parked near the gage. Packing up in the rain I think I dropped my keys in or near that parking area. If any of your readers saw them let me know. The main key is a Ford ignition key. Key ring also had a red plastic tag.
Bummer to have to spend the money they ask for a replacement!
BTW, did well on red midge pupa and yellow soft hackles.
Keep up the good work!
Gerry

Mike said...

1st time at Cady Lane this morning. On the water at 7, managed 5 small brookies on #18 olive emerger and foam ant. I could see large fish but no takes so on goes the Pats rubber legs and I hooked up with a large brown. Shortly after i got a big fat rainbow on a beadhead nymph and indy. That rainbow had a large black scar on its back just behind its head. I wondered if that was the result of electro shock or more likely a predator.
Off the water at 9:30, back at the car there were two spin fisherman that showed me pics of 2 large rainbows they caught and presumably kept. Im not sure if they caught them above or below Cady Lane. Nice guys but disappointing to see.
Mike, Andover

Chico said...

Does anyone know a homemade concoction for fly sink? not accepting spit recommendations please.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gerry,

Good to hear from you but not under these circumstances. Which parking area were you at?

Mike,

Drop a call on them with the environmental police. That's how we can stop this.

Chico,

"fly sink" or "leader sink"?? If it's leader sink there is something called Fullers Earth, A.K.A. cat litter that you mix with glycerol and odorless dish soap.

That's one of them. The other is any glass cleaner. Leaders float because of oil and grease from our hands. Take one paper towel sheet and blast it with glass cleaner and the put it in a zip lock plastic bag then put it in your shirt pocket. Use when needed.

Ken

Chico said...

Fly sink, but leader sink substitute is also appreciated. Thanks

Gerry said...

Ken,
I was parked near the gage station above the hatchery pipe.
Probably too late to recover, but if somebody saw it , at least I won't have to rack my brain trying to find it!
thanks!

Baitslinger said...

Like he said first time at Cady Lane.Probably didn't know the boundary line.