Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Soft Hackles Seize The Day And Trouble On The EB

"There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there". John Gierach



What type of fly would I use if I were expecting a hatch of any standard mayfly? It would be a soft hackle of course of the appropriate size. I could fish this fly deep early in the day under a micro shot and then ditch the shot and swing that fly across and downstream to imitate the emerging insect. Remember, most rise forms that we see are NOT trout taking mature insects but the taking of immature (emergers) in the surface film. The soft hackle imitates this perfectly. I've even dusted up a SH to fish it on the surface because I didn't want to take the time to change flies. IT WORKED!!!
What patterns work the best? THEY ALL DO!  Don't leave home for any river without the Partridges  (orange and olive) in sizes 12 through 16 and don't leave home without a few Starlings from size 16 through 20 with an olive body.  Above is client Joe with a Swift chunkbow that fell for a Partridge and Orange.
                                                                                                        Starling & Olive
Trouble On The EB

First it was someone ripping down the C&R signs and now we have some trout heads and guts littering  Les's Pool.  If you see anything like this on the EB call the Environmental  Police number that's found on this blog.

The Swift Gauge

The Swift stream gauge stopped working in the early afternoon on Saturday July 6 and as of this writing is stuck at 166 cfs. This may have had something to do with the T'Storms.  In any event the Swift flow is around 130cfs  and dropping and all spots are fishable. The fish are not in the usual places such as the Pipe but have scattered and that's a good thing.

The Millers

Plenty of water with a flow this morning of 388 BUT it is an evening stream until Labor Day.

Bill with a massive Y Pool bow













Ken






12 comments:

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken — I was at the Swift today and fished from the crib dam to the pipe and saw very few fish. They were, however, working on the gauge while I was there. I assume it will be fixed. I did manage a nice Brookie, but that was about it. Late in the day I went above rte 9 and had some fun with the Sulphurs late in the day. It feels like the hatch is getting shorter or it is pushing into the night and the fish are getting tougher keying in on emergers. I still managed a huge Rainbow pushing 18 inches that ate a size 22 nymph on the swing and fought like crazy. Another highlight was a gorgeous looking. 16 inch Brown on 20 Sulphur Dun with a Catskill tie. Great catching these fish on the surface like that.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Falsecast,

They fixed it and as I write its at 135 cfs which is ok with me. My client and I did well Monday and I notices a lot of 3 inch brook trout down in Cady Lane.

Things are getting back to normal!!

Ken

Gary said...

On the EB at 6:30 AM this morning fishing a #14 dry attractor in pocket water, well it brought up 3 fish,1st just broke my 5x leader in half, 2 missed the bug or I pulled it out of his mouth, 3 was on but a head shake and he was gone, 3 different fish by the way. So I come to a pool, saw nothin come up as I put on new tippet and a #12 P&O (I read this blog) as I'm standing there observing I see 5 or more bows cruising turn and head back down river but not spooked. I move slow to the bank walk down a bit and I see where they are holding, now every time the P&O drifts by them I can see them move till one drift I see and feel the take and land a 16" steroid bow. Made my morning, thanks Ken, oh by the I was off the river 10:30 (sun was getting high) and no cars,no fisherman, I had the place to myself.

Millers River Flyfisher said...


Gary,

Another good day by the Wizard of the Westfield!!!!

Ken

Sam said...

Bondsville fishing pretty well right now, Ken. That last stocking included some real beauties that fight like hell. The caddis emerger swung has produced well in the riffles. Hits may come at most any time during the downstream drift.

A heads up though, the catch and keep crowd are keyed in to the good fishing, so one must get it while the getting is good. One fisherman couple told me this evening about the 19 1/2 incher that they brought home. I asked how it tasted and they said plenty good. I could not help myself to remind them that 3 is the limit on the Swift. They were nice folks, so nothing against them having fun fishing and taking a few home.

Regards, Sam



Millers River Flyfisher said...


Sam,

Good to see that you are doing well down river. Because of the high water of Spring the fishing pressure was down this season and that includes all methods. That saved a lot of trout.

Ken

Btown Jim said...

Fishing below rt 9 this am and found a man fishing power bait and excited he was catching rainbows. He ‘claimed’ he didn’t kill any. I told him it was not a legal bait and he reacted in shock! He said well it’s not alive or meat and I said they don’t call it power lure, they call it power bait! Am I wrong? This guy had no clue

Sam said...

Ken,

I have said it before, I wish part of Bondsville was catch and release, but I know that will never happen.

I am really enjoying that Redington rod you recommended to me. Fishing that 7 foot Fenwick for so long, I now realize what an advantage having the 8'6" is at times, especially for high sticking situations. I'm very glad I bought that rod.

Regards, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

One of the conditions for C&R is that the section of river must have 50% public access or more.

Glad that you like the rod!!

Btown Jim,

You are right and he is wrong!!! You did the right thing!

Ken

BrianF said...

I kayaked the Swift from the launch on Old Belchertown Rd up. I was amazed by the numbers of brookies. Beautiful section. There were Sulfur’s popping off all afternoon. How is the smallmouth fishing further downstream? Thanks. Brian.

Phil Ritucci said...

Ken,
Hit the Swift from 2:30-9pm last night and you are right, they are not in the usual spots. Got into a few nice browns around the hemlock area. Up in the bubbler arm landed some bruiser bows. Highlight of the day was in the bubbler hooked a nice salmon, it cleared the water twice and broke me off. I would say it was at least 18”, still kicking myself I couldn’t land him!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Phil,

Sounds like a good day. I saw a bunch of salmon in the bubbler arm but couldn't get them to hit.

Brian,

None that I know of.

Ken