Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

As The REAL Season Approaches, Traditional Rivers And Book Me


"Hell, give me Greenwell's Glory and Campbell's Fancy, all wet and about size 12 and May on the Big River, and anyone else can have whatever else he wants. I won't need it" Sparse Grey Hackle on the Beaverkill River circa 1930
A Mid Summer Freestone Trout
Many of us have become slaves to the tailwater mystique, lots of trout in what can only be considered an artificial environment.  It fishes well 12 months a year and is mostly exempt from the ravages of flooding and drought. It also lends itself to mid summer day trout fishing which, before the creation of tailwaters, really didn't exist in the way it does now.  Hatches can cover the water with aquatic insects BUT these hatches do not involve many species of insects, only the ones that can thrive in a tailwater environment.  Tailwaters provide sport for fly fishers and they will always be with us.  I fish them BUT I prefer something else - FREESTONES!!

Freestones have a seasonality to them.  High and cold in early Spring, perfect flow and temperatures in the late Spring and early Summer, low and challenging in the Summer and Fall.  I like that!!!  One fishes the Millers or the EB differently in July than one does in May.  I've seen many flyfishers plying the Millers at 2pm on a hot July day and I knew that they would catch next to nothing.  If they waited until 7:00 in the evening and fished until after dark they would think they were on a different river - lots of hatching insects and rising trout.  If dusk scares them then there is always early morning, very early morning and by that I mean before sunrise.  One of my best experiences on the Millers occurred on back to back mornings in early July. I could still see stars when I stepped into the river which was alive with rising trout.  The fishing was great but by 6:30 it was over and I went to the Swift!
                                                                                      An EB Evening

The EB, the WB, the Ware and the Millers will be very fishable by April with Quill Gordons leading the way with plenty of caddis too.  These are my favorite freestones and they hold up through the Summer if you fish them at the right time (evenings or early mornings).

Book Me


I've found that many will fish a river many times but almost always in the same place (that even includes the Swift).  Do you want to explore some rivers?  Book me!!!!

Ken




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another benefit of tailwaters is that they keep the angling pressure off the freestones!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 5:59,

That they do. I've had great action on the Ware, only 10 minutes from the Swift, while basically fishing alone and then have driven over to the Swift to count 40 cars. I like fishing alone and so do most of my customers.

Ken

Hibernation said...

And dont forget the blue lines... only ice locks them up, the rest of the year, they are fishable and tend to shed floods fast so they generally are good to go even hours after a solid rain.

Enjoy the warmth folks!

Dwight said...

Great post Ken. I fished the head of the Deerfield till after dark last labor day and was greeted by a mature black bear lumbering down the opposite bank from me. It made walking in the dark back to my car a bit nerve racking.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Hibernation,

Good Points!!

Dwight,

That's actually a great experience as long as it's on the other side of the river.

Dwight said...

It was amazing Ken, right place and time

Charles said...

I can think of no better "social distancing" than standing in one of our beautiful rivers casting flies to trout.
Stay safe, everyone.
Charles

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Charles,

You are right except for the Y pool