Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Wrapping Up Florida With Pompano And The Ladies


"The future isn't what it used to be" - Yogi Berra

The Millers has been stocked


Pompano are a flyrodders dream!

1. They are easily taken on a 6  to an 8 weight outfit.

2. They love smaller flies that represent crustaceans and shrimp (as in small bonefish flies.)

3. They fight like hell and in the surf they use that flat body to work the waves.

4. And they TASTE GREAT.  Skin one side and grill or saute with a drizzle of olive oil and black pepper.



Then there are Lady Fish.  This is a rocket of a fish that works the surf  looking for the same things that pompano do but the fight is an air display of one 2 to 3 foot jump after another.  Most of what I caught passed the 20 inch mark and on a 6 wt rod it was a blast.

I didn't target the famous or bucket list species which killed off any pressure and made all of this fun.



How do you run into these fish?  Walk the shoreline while casting and look for BIRDS and/or slashing fish. Low tide worked out really well the last two days and with warm water temperatures it was very comfortable.


I've been fishing the East Coast around Melbourne to Sebastian and it is a beach front that has M I L E S of underdeveloped shoreline WITH access for the public.

You should try it out.


Don't be afraid to book for April, May and June.  Since I charge no down payment  your money is not tied up and you can cancel at any time.  Hopefully this health situation will wind down soon.  Remember, I've been practicing "social distancing" with my guiding for years because my clients want to get away from the crowd.

Ken



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hit the Swift today (March 26) and although it was stocked yesterday, I didn't see a fish all day. I fished above the Pipe and below Route 9, then down near Cady Lane. Apparently it was hit or miss as I talked to three other anglers who also recorded going fishless, while another two anglers said they caught 5 and 8 rainbows, respectively.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

Those freshly stocked bows are not going to move around for a while. I remember a client who took about 20 right next to the pump house while the Pipe was empty. The reason?? That's where they stocked them. It took a while for them to move around.

Ken

WrongDay said...

Ken, can you remind of what are the safe ranges on the gauges for fishing the Millers, EB, Ware?

Thanks,

Bill

Hibernation said...

Fully agree Ken. Pompano are cool... Lady fish are poor mans Tarpon. Sorta look similar, jump and run like mad. Super fun to catch! Travel safe,
Will

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a bucket list trip for me!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

WrongDay,

Millers - below 600 cfs
Eb - below 500 cfs
Ware - below 300 cfs

Will,

"Poor Man's Tarpon"! I like that!!

Ken

Baitslinger said...

I'd like too thank make Mass fishing spots great again.Trying to get them down to Bondsville maybe some of your followers would like too help.

Anonymous said...

Do you think its worth going to the millers even if its been stocked now?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 11:19,

1900 cfs = NO

Ken

Falsecast said...

Most rivers are blown out now,but will recover quickly as the leaves are about to come out and suck up a lot of ground water. I've been to the Quinnepoxet and the Nissitissit in the past 2 days and very high and slow fishing. Water is still cold too.

I fear the fishing crowds this spring with the every person having "cabin fever", especially the now Grand Central Swift Station. :)

BUY LOCAL! Lastly, I was talking with my friend Charlie from Evening Sun Fly Shop (great fly shop) in Pepperell yesterday. Local businesses are suffering with this shutdown. We all know we can resupply ourselves online, but I'd encourage people, when this crises is over, to re-supply with your local fly shops. They need it. I am sure even a few flies or gear would help.
Keep washing those hands!
Andrew