Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, March 20, 2020

How To Deal With The Plague? Go Flyfishing!

"Anytime there is a new emerging infectious disease that is shrouded in mystery with a lot of unknowns, it captivates people in a way that a regular virus that people deal with on a yearly basis won't." Dr. Amesh Adalja, MD, senior scholar at John's Hopkins Center for Health Security


The EB was stocked on Thursday 3/19


Before I go off on a tangent let's look at a CDC statistic just recently  published.  Between October 1, 2019 and February 1, 2020 between 12,000 and 30, 000 people DIED of the flu in the USA.  I bet that you didn't know that and why should you.  It's not that unusual.  During the 2018-2019 flu season 34,000 died and during the 2017-2018 flu season 61,000 died.  In short, tens of thousands of people die from these infectious diseases each flu season.

So, what should you do with COVID19??  Don't crawl into a fetal position and wait for the grim reaper.  Go for a walk, go for a bike ride or a run OR GO FLYFISHING.  All of this is still legal and safe.  Just stay away from close contact with others and WASH YOUR HANDS.

If you are a slave to the Y Pool and the PIPE on the Swift or the Farmie then now is your chance to explore some roads less traveled.

Most fly fishing is done on a few popular spots on a few popular rivers which leaves miles and miles of underfished water.  Those who read this blog KNOW that this is where I guide and fish.  I don't like crowds and I avoid them, COVID 19 or not!   Now, there are guides out there that will bring you to the most popular spot on a river and then leave you there.  That's not guiding and these guides do that because they really don't know the river either.  Fish with me and you will know the river!!!

I've included two photos of great spots on two famous Massachusetts rivers that are seldom fished.  These places are waiting for you.



Now, if you are sick please get well soon and certainly avoid close encounters of any kind.  If you are feeling well then get out there and fish someplace new!!!

Ken

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

All good points, Ken. More rivers are being stocked each day throughout the state. I will be out on a couple of the “other” rivers in the next week taking advantage of the early, nice weather and getting the rust out of my cast. I hope you are enjoying the warm weather and the salt water fishing. I’ll reach out to you when you get back about heading to the Westfield.

PS I think you meant “plague” not “plaque”

Chuck

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Chuck,

Thanks for finding the typo.

Ken

Gary said...

On the EB at 8am this morning,water temp 36 degrees and the river was raging 4 to 500 cfs 800 on the other side of the dam in Huntington. Had the place to myself (and I did hike up as far as the quarry) but tough fishing with the conditions. Off the river at 11am,should have went to the WB. It was great to see the ground and water at this venue, I've missed it since last November.

Anonymous said...

I fished the gorge today, walked the river down from the parking lot to the gate that is usually closed. Lots of nice spots with some good runs but to no avail. I wonder if they stocked down by Les's pool. Couple other guys on the river as well.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

That flow seems crazy to me. Where did the water come from??

Ken

Gary said...

It did rain some, plus every brook running strong off the hills adds up, there is 4 or 5 of them. The water seemed higher also, stones and boulders that are usually quite visible, submerged. But it will drain in a few days unless it pours. Oh and knightville is full so they started releasing I assume.

Anonymous said...

Good advice. Fished the west branch farmington in Otis today. No action but a nice start to the season and away from the news!

John Duncan said...

wake up. this is the real deal with the covid virus. please get some better research so that you don't minimize the severity of
this pandemic. this isn't the flu.

Charles said...

Ken,
The Massachusetts Trout Stocking map looks like they only stock below the UTD dam, which probably explains why I usually catch fall fish, smallmouths, and the occasional rainbow (from the Bear's Den??) up there. Do you know if that is the case?
Charles

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Charles,

Don't put a lot of stock in the stocking map. Rainbows are stocked in S. Royalston and then stocked again in Athol. Browns then are stocked in S. Royalston. Both species will filter up and down (mostly down) through the river.

John Duncan,

YOU WAKE UP! Nothing I wrote dismisses covid 19 or the current guidelines in dealing with it. I just refuse to get all negative and hopeless about it like some do.

Unknown said...

For a lot of us, 2020 Flyfishing will be the medicine the doctor ordered to keep us sane while getting through this pandemic!

Harvey said...

Question for Ken or another knowledgable blog reader regarding the published flow rates on the Ware River. Which of the gauges do you follow and what is a safe "wadable" flow rate? Thanks for the advice.

Paul N said...

Being stuck with this "Social Distancing" I think those who can get out and fish( staying a safe distance away from others)and finding those roads less traveled is a great catharsis. I plan on getting out in the next week. I refuse to stay bottled up and take this virus seriously . But a good day of fishing and even the walk to and from spots helps alleviate the situation. I agree with you completely. Stay safe and fish on.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Harvey,

I follow the gauge at site 0117300 (near the intake works). Thats the one. On the gauge map it's the one downstream from the other one.

Anything under 300 cfs is wadable on the Ware.

Paul N.

We think alike.

Ken

Pat said...

Explored above the gorge on Saturday due to the high flows. That area was much more manageable and I got a big fat rainbow to hand on an olive bugger. Found some very promising spots but water temp most likely shocked the stockers. Got another one closer to huntington the following day but was overall quite slow w high flows and cold h20.

J.R. Jackson said...

I fished the gorge on Sunday, water was fairly clear but definitely up considerably. Most places where I think there would have been fish, I couldn't get to. I walked from the parking lot down to Les's Pool, hitting the wadeable water along the way wherever I could, but never felt a tug. Water was 41 degrees. I talked to 3 or 4 other fishers, no one else seemed to be having any luck either.