Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, March 7, 2020

Deer Hair Revisited AND The Trucks Are Rolling

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the Fish" - Sparse Grey Hackle


Everyone knows what the legendary Elk Hair Caddis looks like: big elk hair wing, palmered hackle and then the cut off stubs of the hair flared out over the hook eye.  The earliest of the muddler minnows did the same thing before someone got the GOOD idea of trimming the hair into a bullet shape.

I want a bullet head on my dry caddis fly like the one on the left.  I also want it to LOOK like an emerger like most stream born insects.  There are a few steps to accomplish this:

Hook - light wire scud hook size 12 to 16


                                                                 
Body - I use rabbit of any buggy color.  Now, when applying the dubbing stop advancing the dubbing material at just beyond the 1/2 way point of the hook shaft.  This will give you plenty of space to spin on the deer hair.  The photo on the right shows that.

Am I using elk hair?  I hardly use it at all especially on the smaller patterns.  Deer hair just works better!!!  You can also color up that deer hair with a good sharpie.  Do the trout like my colors? It probably makes no difference to them but it does to me!!

This fly represents caddis, stoneflies and most winged terrestrial insects.  Plus it loves to float!

Ponds and Lakes come first

Well, the stocking crews hit the road last week to load up the usual ponds and lakes with trout.  The rivers and streams (where it REALLY counts) will start up in the next few weeks.  Back in the Dark Ages (1975 and before) opening day was a colossal mob scene that I'm glad is long gone.

Turn your clocks ahead tonight!!!

Ken




16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

I really like the look of that fly. Something like Wyatt's DHE except it has that neat muddler head. I could see evenings on the Millers with that one.

GW

RI Rod said...

Sorry to say that the annual madness of an official "opening day" is still alive down here in Rhode Island.

If you like Black Friday door busters, you'll love the second Saturday in April.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

RI Rod,

I do all my shopping online. I hate crowds. Maybe someday RI will stop the madness!

Ken

Sam said...

Love that caddis fly, Ken. It looks a lot buggier than the standard trimmed off head.

Work traveling done for a while after this week and later sunsets is good news for me I'll tell you that much. Finally some fishing in my near future again.

Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Evening fly fishing is my favorite time!!!

Ken

Hibernation said...

Makes me think of the caribou caddis but on a scud hook. I like that! Neat fly and thanks for showing us Ken.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Hibernation,

Thank you! Anytime!!

Ken

Andrew D said...

Love the upgraded classic Ken. The midges I bought here worked well this summer, hopefully the time of year has come and I can throw some dries from your fly page.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Andrew D.

It won't be long now. Look for Quill Gordons in April or maybe sooner with these temperatures and flows.

Ken

Gary said...

Well lets see good weather forecast, so where should I go for MY opening day? WB,MB,EB, Nope the mighty Swift, got there at 10:30 left at 2:30. Result- with moderate crowd (9 in the tree pool), a little over 50cfs, visible fish above and below route 9,and of course help from the fans, I am on the board with MY 1st trout of the 2020 season. Oh the weather WAS great and I think the bite was starting as I was leaving. The fish? fooled with a #16 olive scud,hit hard on the retrieve after a 10yd. drift and of course it happened on the last cast of the day.

Andrew D said...

I meant to say WINTER for the midges, typo.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

Nice way to spend a great day. Never give up on the "last cast" of the day!!

Ken

Darren Enns said...

Just found your blog today. I look forward to checking out more posts! Thank ya from Darren!

Anonymous said...

Darren,

Welcome on board!! If your game is the Millers, Swift, Ware or the branches of the Westfield you have come to the right place. Stay in touch!

Ken

Charles said...

Apparently I was there with Gary on my opening day, too--from 1-3. Amazing weather; whitish bugs were fluttering on the surface above Route 9, but I didn't see a single fish taking them. Caught a couple of brookies, and then netted the largest rainbow I've ever caught in the Swift--taped out to 19 inches. I'm guessing he was a former chunk bow from last summer's stocking, but he had lengthened and trimmed down over the winter. Healthy, beautiful fish. Used the same fly--a white #16 scud--for the entire time Thanks, Ken, for the tip from a couple of posts ago. After that fish, I decided not to be greedy and walked out, making a couple of casts to a fat brown swimming in front of me; so I guess it was sort of my "almost last cast of the day." Great start to the season., and especially applying what everyone willing shares on this blog.
Charles

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Charles,

Good work with the scud!!

Ken