Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Line Weights And Flies And A Lost Fly Box



"Every fly rod, regardless of its action or length, is capable of casting several different weight fly lines.  The rods casting potential depends on the actual weight of the line beyond the rod tip.  The weight of that length of line dictates how the rod will cast.  Although the taper of the fly line has some effect on how the fly is presented, tapers don't affect weight". - Jim Bartschi, Scott Fly Rods. 



Read the quote at the top of the page.  Those are the words of an honest man as were the words of another rodmaker, E.C. Powell I believe, from 50 years ago.  The conventional wisdom is that you MUST match the rod to the line as in a 4wt rod to a 4wt line.  That's good for starters but it's not the end of the game.

The weight of the first 30 feet of fly line is supposed to maximize the casting potential of that 4wt rod. But what if you are casting 40 feet?(5wt land) It doesn't mean that you have to go and buy a 5wt rod because your 4wt rod can handle it easily. Remember that some fly casters will overload their rod with a line that is one or even two weight classes heavier than the rods weight designation to cast for distance quickly.  They may sacrifice finesse but they get the job done.  Some line manufactures try to help them along by building their lines on the heavy side of the designation making a 5wt a "5.75wt".

What about casts shorter than 30 feet?  Nobody will suggest that you have  to rig up a 3wt for the occasion.  Your 4wt is fine.  In the last decade I've gotten into the habit of underlining my 4wt rod with a 3wt DT line on the Swift and the Farmington.  I can manage to get the distance I need  and still get the delicate presentation.  Lefty Kreh taught me that (not in person but in print).  One thing I will not do is rig a 3wt rod with a 1wt line if I need some real distance or if it's a windy day.  I can handle any tiny fly situation with a 4wt bamboo, a 3wt DT and a 12 foot leader.  I will be loaded for bear!!!!

Size 20 BWO Emerger                             
 

Make sure that you have plenty of these for August AND especially for the Fall.  Find yourself on the Swift, the Millers or the EB on a cloudy cool day and you will see these critters.

I tie mine with a new "secret sauce" as far as the thorax is concerned and I've dumped the Dun version and go with the emerger exclusively which is visible on the surface even when the the body is below the surface.  The wing material floats like crazy.




Size 20 DHE

Or use the finest deer hair that you can find and use this traditional wing material instead.  











Lost Fly Box - Someone lost a loaded fly box down in Cady Lane around the 3rd of this month.  Contact me if you find it and I'll connect you with the owner. - Ken

The Rivers

This tropical storm will really dump a lot of rain WEST of the Connecticut River which is GOOD as it will really recharge the aquafers which we really need for a good Autumn.  The EB and the Millers will be fishable for sure (once the water goes down.)

Ken



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice looking emergers! Its always a benefit to try several line weights/tapers on a fly rod. Often an unsuspected combination is the ticket for your casting needs! Your buddy with the same rod will often find a different combo to his liking. Love my DT's for local streams!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 10:12,

Your comment on "several line weights" makes a lot of sense but I think that the majority of fly anglers that buy into the fly rod/ fly line manufacturers sales pitch will think otherwise because to do so means that we don't need another rod or fly line and fly anglers can't wait to buy another rod or line. Think of the upland bird hunter who uses a favorite 20 gauge, for years, because it "feels" just right when he swings from right to left. It's a comfort thing and not a shooting thing and he gets his bird. If you're good the shooting will take care of itself. Remember, it's not the arrow but the archer.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Thanks for recommending the Gartside nymph. A great find. Trying to share back, you may be interested in the four patterns shown at the end of this:


article:https://www.shannonsflytackle.com/single-post/2020/05/22/Memorial-Day-Weekend

I grew up in NJ and fished the Ken Lockwood Gorge decades ago. Shannon started a fly shop nearby in Califon, NJ.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 6:18,

All great classic flies!!

Ken

Jared K said...

Hey Ken,

Hope you are doing well. The Swift was “packed” in the popular spots and above Route 9 when I went last weekend, but like you always harp about, I found my own solitude. Managed to pull out a nice 14 inch Brookie on a size 18 olive soft hackle at Cady Lane before calling it a day.

Partridge and orange also did the trick and may be my go to on the Swift (and every river for that matter).

People think you gotta go out west to experience hopper fishing, but the Swift in August is terrestrial season for me! I find fish of all sizes can’t resist the opportunity for some serious protein on top this time of year!

Jared

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Jared,

Hoppers and ants for August.

Ken

BobT said...

New England has pretty good hopper fishing ....I would not say its far from western state hopper fishing having done both extensively. I will ...as I have said in the past, be fishing ants until December especially on the Swift, trout don't seem to forget that they love them!

BobT said...

don't forget beetles...I have found them to be quite effective through the end of September...I don't use them enough ...from now until I hit the rockies I will tie one on each time out just to see what happens

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

One of the first trout that I caught in the Swift decades ago was a December rainbow and I caught it on an ant.

Ken

Falsecast said...

BobT - I too am a dedicated Terrestrial guy and I'd add the Cinnamon Ant hatch to the list of unknown "hatches" on the swift. Single dry fly is hard to beat. The challenge on the Swift these days is the Terrestrial fisherman has to keep moving and the crowds can make that hard.

BTW, try putting some split shot on those little foam Beetles. Trout eat a lot of drowned terrestrials.