Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Favorite Fall Flies

 "Sylvester was not a dry fly fisherman", his wife Hazel said. " He abhorred bead heads. He would say that was not fly fishing, that you might as well use a spinning rod". - Hazel Nemes recalling her husband, Sylvester Nemes, views on fly fishing.



It was 53 degrees at 4:30 this morning and the heat in the kitchen actually felt good as I whipped up breakfast.  No, it's not Fall (the official start is a month away) and we will have enough hot days to complain about until then but the wheels are turning and you can see it with the lower temperatures and the lower angle of the sun.  Fall will come and for many, including me, it's our favorite season.


There are two things that I look forward to in the Fall. One is the BWO hatch down in Cady Lane and on the lower Millers and swinging soft hackle flies on some reinvigorated freestones.

And my soft hackle selection will be top heavy with two patterns: the Partridge and Orange and the Partridge and Olive in sizes 12, 14 and 16. These two patterns have worked all Summer. My Partridge and Orange has a body of orange kevlar which gives it a waxy look which the trout told me is irresistible to them.  The Partridge and Olive has a body of olive (of course) uni-stretch floss (good stuff).  Add in a few Grouse and Flash and last Winters' King, the Copper Grouse, and I will be well armed.


Now, if I get all my ducks in a row this November I plan to swing some LARGE Soft Hackles on some Great Lakes tribs. I'll tie some up in sizes 10, 8 and 6 on a salmon style hook and swing them with a 7wt Heddon bamboo.  Why not!!


And The Rivers...

Trout have been caught at dusk on the Millers and they have been caught by early morning anglers working deep runs on the EB.  I have always loved August evenings because it is dusk at 8pm so the wait time is down.  It's better in the morning too because the sun rises later now.  2 months ago we had blazing sun at 5am.  Sun up is at 6:04 today. (much better).

The Swift is at 130 cfs and will stay there unless we get some rain. It is very fishable.

Book me for the Fall

Don't wait too long because slots will fill up quickly and those slots run right into late November, early December.


Ken


 
 




8 comments:

zach said...

How late in the year can you usually fish the ware, millers and eb

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Zach,

The latest that I have fished these rivers has been December and I've had some good days especially on the Millers but then they start icing up.

Ken

Paul Fay said...

Love fall fishing especially in that small window of time where the freestones have cooled off but before the state stocks, you get a chance to fish for the forgotten trout of spring. Some of the underlooked streams in MA have excellent holdover populations and even stream born fish if you look in the right spots. On another note fished the farmy for the very first time 2 days ago i had great action on a black and gray mayfly imitation no hackle and poly wing to ride low in the film in the faster runs in the slower water some tricos but nothing to imitate saw a bear cross the stream which was cool all and all very much reminded me of fishing the millers especially when I fell in !

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul Fay,

We really need some rain FIRST. Gary, my EB friend, caught 4 there earlier in the week but said it was tough going with the bony conditions. Two years ago I fished the Farmy and had a bear raiding the campground. F&W people chased it away with blow horns. Other than that a good 3 days!

Ken

Charles said...

On the S wit yesterday; 122 cfs was fine, but I did not get too deep. 20 cars and trucks at the Rt. 9 lots, so down to the Tree Pool lot. 2 cars, including mine. The guys in the other car were in the Tree Pool, but there was no one in sight upstream for as far as you could see. Caught 3 feisty little rainbow parr in the riffles and lost half a dozen more on slow hook sets. I've read about the parr in blogs here, but this was a first time for me catching them.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Charles,

I was on the Swift yesterday too. At 7:00 the Rt 9 lots were filling up as I went to the flats above the duck Pond to swing soft hackles for three hours. Took two brookies that were closing in on a foot long plus a few smaller ones plus two clonebows which I'm beginning to believe have been turned into completely worthless fish. All they do is swim around like they still live in the hatchery.

The DFW says the bows don't reproduce so they must of escaped from the hatchery.

Ken

Ryan51993 said...

I caught several 3-4 inch rainbows with parr marks in the ware river about 1/4 mile below where the swift empties in. I can't imagine hatchery escapees making it that far. Maybe they somehow accidentally made it onto the stocking truck? I guess we'll see if I catch any again next year.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ryan51993,

They must have been dumped in by a hatchery truck. Right now they are all over the river. Let's hope they last and grow.

Ken