Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, August 31, 2020

Another Look At Soft Hackles

 " Don't fish for the fish that you see.  Fish for the fish that you don't see". Me

Partridge and Olive size 14
It was about 8 to 10 years ago that a reader asked the question about tying soft hackles on scud style hooks.  I think we all pulled out our scud hooks and began to whip some up.  They looked great and caught fish too but seemed to faded into memory except for a special situation.  I see them on the web occasionally but they appear as an afterthought.

Now, the question is: should we use them?  The answer is "of course" but they work best in certain conditions.

1. I tie 95% of my SH on standard dry fly hooks.  I hardly ever use heavier wire wet fly hooks.  I fish most of my SH on the swing so I don't want any unwanted weight from the hook effecting the presentation.  BTW, my most used sizes are 12, 14 and 16.  Size 10 and 8 work well on big stonefly rivers like the Millers and the EB but most of the time it's the standard stuff.

2. Now, if 95% of my SH are tied on standard dry fly hooks what about the other 5%? When I tie in sizes 18 through 22 I use scud hooks. Why, the hook gape is wider in these hooks so you have a better chance of hooking and landing a trout with that style of fly than with the standard straight shank hook. (the added weight of the hook, in those sizes, can be dismissed.

3. Another thing is that the majority of these tiny SH are basically black because I get to use those tiny startling hackles!!


4.  Don't waste time and money with those gimpy little bags of loose partridge feathers.  Make friends with an upland bird hunter or just buy the total skin.  It's worth it.




The Seasons Change

As I write this blog entry it's 5 am and only 49 degrees on this last day of August.  In my opinion Autumn is the best time for the fly fisher.  Book your dates now!!

BTW, I'm being told that the EB is off  the Fall stocking lit BUT when I look it up, on the latest updated list, it's still there.


Ken




15 comments:

Brian Miner said...

8:30AM Mon 8/31 - I didn't see the EB on the stocking list for the fall.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Brian,

I saw it yesterday unless I'm reliving a 1960's acid trip!!!!

Ken

John said...

"Westfield River" in Chesterfield still listed in the PDF for 2020 and there's a "red diamond" on the map for the gorge (albeit underneath the black pushpin if my eyes aren't betraying me.) If they don't stock the EB due to water levels, I totally understand. Although seems way early to be making that determination. And if they are taking it off the list for other reasons I'd be very disappointed. That river is a gem and my favorite place to fish in the state. Especially in the fall. I imagine it's a pain in the ass to stock as it's a pain to access in places and requires a fair bit of hiking. But that's what makes it so special. And stocking or not I'll still be fishing it in October for the views alone.

Anonymous said...

Try some woodcock for your soft hackles! Beautiful dark mottling! I do use extra heavy, 2x wide barbless hooks for some of my soft hackles if I want them fished lower in the water column before the swing and dangle.

The Eye on Harvard said...

I don't see the EB on the list, but I do see the Ware, Deerfield and Swift

TC

Anonymous said...

Just checked the list as well and even typed in chesterfield and nothing pops up on their list

Millers River Flyfisher said...

I think that there are two lists that we are looking at although I think mine might be outdated. I'll work on this.

Anonymous 1:00

If I knew a bird hunter I would be able to get woodcock feathers.

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dalton N said...

Ken I’m an avid upland hunter come fall going for woodcock, pheasant etc. if you or any of the readers need feathers let me know and I’ll hook you up... rather see the feathers used then go to waste I do keep what I can for myself but usually plenty to go around

Anonymous said...

Re hunter: If I am successful this fall I will save you a pair of wings to try!

Mark said...

Hi Ken. I tied a lot of soft hackles over the summer, mostly on scud curved hooks, especially the 1120. I get what you are saying about the hook weight. Is there a hook brand and # you prefer? Thanks!

Mark

Zach said...

Hey Ken

What size tippet are you using on the swift these days?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Zack,

5X and sometimes 6X on subsurface flies.

Mark,

All of my tying hooks are the Saber brand from Fly Shack. Good hooks that don't fail and they are a bargain. Their barbless dry fly hooks can beat any other brand.

Dalton and Anonymous,

Thank you!!! Anything would be appreciated!

Ken

Steve said...

My preference are Daiichi hooks either the barbless dry fly version or the 1120's previously mentioned. Daiichi also makes a 2x heavy wet fly hook if you feel the need to get down deeper, perhaps during high water.

BTW, I am always in the market for some woodcock breast feathers. will swap mustad hooks. email sudburydmd@comcast.com, Thank you.

Steve

Brooksman said...

In the rain on Wednesday ....what a great day to fish but I digress.....below Cady Lane I caught 2 bows with fading but visible parr marks. Fish were ~6”. Does this mean what I hope it means?