Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

 "I've fished a lot of places and met a lot of people, but there are only a handful of streams that I know inside and out and an equally small number of people whom I consider to be close friends. But a few of each is enough when you're loyal as a dog to all of them". John Gierach

 



It has been a very good Autumn on the fishing front and it should be after the drought stricken summer that we had.  The EB and the Swift have been excellent with fish spread out everywhere and most of the water being underfished and that's even the Swift.  As I've been saying for years - spread out - and you will have a different experience.

A Good Fly
My top fly this Autumn, outside of the trusted Partridge and Orange, has been the Possum Nymph and why not.  It has slayed them on the EB and has had good days on the Swift. It is as generic as you get with just the right amount  of mascara to make it a bit different. Someone commented on this blog that spawning fish don't eat.  Well, they eat possum nymphs as well as soft hackles (among other things).

The Brookies

 

As Swift regular Phil predicted last week the Brook Trout spawning season may be closing down at least below Route 9.  They are still there but not in the numbers of just a week or so ago.  I didn't break my Swift PR of 17 inches but caught enough around 12 inches and beyond to keep me from crying.  Catching a 4lb brown while targeting brookies didn't hurt either.



Even little brook trout can make a day, especially when it's your first trout on a fly!!!!


Book Me

The Swift produces right through December and it gives you a chance to wring out those last few hours on your 2000 license. Email me and we will set up a date and catch some trout.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and stay safe!!


Ken

8 comments:

Falsecast said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Ken, and the readers of the blog. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to post and participate in your discussions. I’ve been on here a long time, as you know, and we’ve seen each other fishing for decades now and I believe the trout fishing in MA is better now then ever. I am thankful for this blog and the many discussion and topics over the years, It has been fun, and, I am sure others will agree, very informative. The trout don’t know about Covid and, even if we are all wiped out by it, I like to think the trout will still be rising. Happy Thanksgiving!
Andrew

Dave P said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Ken--and to all my fellow followers! I was hoping to get out on Friday, but I sprained my ankle a few days ago. I can walk on it, so maybe....
Cheers,
Dave P.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Andrew,

I always look forward to your comments and insights. We share the same things, wild trout and uncrowded rivers, and maybe we should be thankful for the crowds at the Y Pool and the Pipe. That leaves us more open river to fish. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave P,

Take your time with the ankle. The rivers will still be there. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving “Trout Maestro”, many more!



Brookie66

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Thank you Brookie66!!!

Ken

"Doc" said...

Ken,

I give Thanks for your blog because I have been fishing the Swift, Millers and EB vicariously for the past year due to repeated surgeries. I'm better n ow and hope to return to the water this spring. I especially enjoy your fly patterns which I have spent many hours reproducing. In a way you've given me a "rason d'etre" (pardon my French)

"Doc"

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Doc,

The trips may be virtual right now but next Spring they will be for real!! Get well soon and keep reading!!

Ken

"Doc" said...

Ken,

Will do and see you on the water.

"Doc"