Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Into November

 "The Difference between Flyfishers and Worm Dunkers is the quality of their excuses" - Anonymous



Don't be frightened of November because it's not that bad. Yes, we may get some snow flurries but we will still have some balmy days in the forecast.  For instance, the average high temperature for Nov. 15 (middle of the month) is 47 degrees in Belchertown, the home of the Swift. That is a very comfortable temperature.  In fact, the water temperature is warmer now than on all rivers in central Ma during the early Spring. It's supposed to hit the low 60's for the rest of the week!!!


The flows are fine.

EB - 245 (perfect), Millers - 114 (perfect but few fish)

Swift - 44 perfect! The brookies are on their beds!  Watch where you walk. Ware - 96 (and they said it was stocked!)


Top Nymph This Fall (So Far)

Yes, I'm still fishing soft hackles and doing well with them over the past month but I've resurrected the possum nymph to do some heavy lifting on the EB and the Swift.  It is as generic as you can get except for a little "secret sauce" the seems to make a big difference. I've drifted them with a tiny split shot about 10 inches above the fly and even worked them under an indicator (yes, that's right) while fishing some deep runs.  Trout like them!!!!

Even Micro Buggers have done well in the size 12 range. Mine are tied with peacock herl instead of bulky chenille.  The peacock adds just the right amount of subtle glimmer and that makes it work.  We hooked and lost 4 big browns last week on this neat little nymph/streamer.  How big were the browns? All were at least 5 pounds.

Book A Trip

We have weeks of good flyfishing left and we don't have to be there super early to beat the crowds or the Summer heat. Fishing in November is like fishing in April. Mid day temperatures are good and we will have more insect activity.  Book a Trip!!!


Ken



12 comments:

Dean F said...

Indicators Ken? Damned unsporting of you- LOL! I love fishing in the English tradition of not using an indicator even upstream. Not high stick nymphing but casting a rod length or two and watching the leader for movement. Lift into any unusual movement and at the end of every drift. You can get away with all the false strikes because the only thing moving through the water are the flies. When done correctly the chances are good won't spook any trout nearby.
That's the theory BUT the reality is when faced with turbulent water of any real depth the choice becomes use an indicator or move on. Soo, guilty your honor.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dean F.,

Most of my nymph fishing is done without a indicator unless I'm working some deep run and that is because I feel, under those conditions, I can detect the strike better. So can my clients who are still developing their skills.

Ken

Austin AA said...

What do you use for tail of possum nymph

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Austin AA,

I use either dun colored or brown hackle fibers BECAUSE part of me is still a hide-bound traditionalist that wants a tail on a nymph. Is it necessary?? NO!!! I have forgotten to put a tail on some of these but still caught trout. Nymph tails are not needed.

Ken

Sam said...

Ken,

Your nymphs remind of something I "caught" a couple of weeks ago. I thought a leaf was on my fly at the end of a drift, but it turned out to be a perfectly impaled worm about 1 1/2" long, grayish green in color. I didn't take a picture, but later looked up what it was. Turns out it was a crane fly larva which would make for a tasty snack for a trout.

Sam

BobT said...

best Swift River fly of my college years when I fished it 4-5 days a week.... #24 Brown fur on a hook on 6x Nylorfi tippet(if you remember that you are OLD or well into middle age lol). Sight fished with my Fenwick 8' 6 weight glass rod( you don't NEED a specialty super long or fast rod to be effective)-I fished better then when I could dial it in 5 times a week than I ever fished in my life.

Unknown said...

Ken, any action on the Ware? Seems like most everyone had given up on it due to low flows, but seems to be better lately and stocked.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

Nylorfi Tippet!! Now that's a blast from the past!

Ken

Unknown,

I haven't heard anything about the Ware except that it was stocked in October.

Ken

Paul Fay said...

Ken I always say let the trout decide what the nymph is!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul Fay,

In the end that's all that matters.

Ken

MDH said...

Hi Ken,

Well I could not pass up the beautiful weather and headed out to the Swift yesterday - wow I have to say I've never seen it so crowded - all 3 Route 9 lots full, Pipe lot full, with cars parked all along the side out to the main road. I'm guessing 40-50 cars total and I didn't go south of the Pipe. Even the "out of the way" spots had multiple anglers. Started the day up by the duck pond, missed a couple of good fish and got a couple of dink brookies to show for a few hours effort. Moved to another spot that had already been hit by a half dozen fisherman but was vacant for the moment. I noticed a couple of risers and after switching flies a few times found that they wanted a big (size#12) elk hair caddis. Got a beautiful bow that had been in the river for a while, turned and sipped the fly in perfect slow motion, then a couple of nice brook trout in the 10-11" class, then a spectacular 14" male brookie - thick and colored up with a huge maw. Finished off the day near the pipe where another nice bow and a couple smaller brookies and bows came to hand. So it ended up a pretty good day all in all. I can't imagine what it must be like today (Saturday) with the 70 degree forecast. But crowds or no, it is still a gem of a river.

STAY OFF THE REDS!!!

Mike from Pittsfield

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike,

Friday was crazy at the Swift. I fished from 8 to 11, caught some nice hook jawed brookies but the crowds were overwhelming. Saturday wasn't that bad. People began to leave at Noon. One flyfisher at the Pipe, one at the Tree Pool and then nobody from there to the Horse Farm.

Ken