Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, November 28, 2020

Some Winter Flies And Fishing Through The " Dark Season"

 "It was big for a mayfly-almost an inch from nose to tail-with a smokey olive body, tall grey wings, head and tail elevated in an oddly regal posture as if the bug was proud of itself for being so handsome. Trout love mayflies because they're loaded with protein and easy to catch.  Fishermen love them because they're pretty in an overbuilt, Victorian way, and we like the big ones because they're so easy to see on the water." -John Gierach



The "Dark Season" starts when we turn the clocks back which brings the curtain down on Evening Fishing (my favorite) with a thud!! Now, some of you actually like winter flyfishing and may actually prefer it over a Hendrickson hatch on a balmy April afternoon or a dense caddis hatch on a June evening or those beautiful BWO on a damp, cool September morning. If any of the above describes you then read no further. Just tie up some rainbow warriors and try to piss off some trout and know full well that fly fishing centers on BUGS and not what attractor fly we toss.


Do I give up winter flyfishing?  No, but my choices about where to go (the freestones can have a foot of ice on them) and what to use are limited. I fish flies that imitate insects and not costume jewelry and insects are less concentrated in the winter.  Those are the reasons I'm found on the Swift, usually above Route 9 with its moderate tailwater environment.  Yes, the flies are small so you need small offerings. and my offerings (mostly) are soft hackles in the 18 to 20 range and my favorite materials are olive or black thread or floss and starling hackles.  This fly represents a lot of what's hatching in the winter.
                                                                                PINHEADS

I've used this fly for about the better part of 20 years and it was developed for the Fall and Winter. Along with the Hot Spot it finds itself on the end of my tippet more often than not. The Pinhead LOOKS like a midge style insect and 20 to 24 works just fine.



Hot Spots


It was almost 15 seasons ago when I found myself on Christmas Eve morning (7am) at the Y Pool.  All the Holiday obligations were done so why not. I threw on a Hot Spot that always did well below the gauge and  had an early Christmas present.  It seems all the fish wanted it.



I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and are avoiding crowds.  We want you around for Christmas.


Ken



9 comments:

Zach said...

Over the winter are you solely fishing the swift?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Zach,

I fish the Swift and sometimes the Farmington.

Ken

Zeno said...

Shot in the dark here- lost a pair of smiths sunglasses in the pool South of the hatchery pool. Fly shook the fly loose ---released and ended up in the trees. I looked up and the glasses fell off into a riffle never to be seen again.

Also lost a friend's Encounter rod tip....somewhere in the pool/riffles on the stream north of the Gulf road pull-off...he is new to fishing so I was guiding him/letting me use my rod --I was holding his...went to rig his rod and its gone...vanished ...poof....

Been on a real roll. Thank god there were some good fish in the mix too.

Let me know if you happened to stumble upond them.

Gary said...

On the Swift at 9:30 this morning 2 brookies below rt.9 and a 18" bow above, fooled with a #14 partridge & black. The Sunday horde was manageable and the weather, well there are not too many like today left.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Zeno,

THAT WAS A BAD DAY!! We will see what we can do.

Gary,

Yes, the balmy days are numbered but remember, it's only four more months until April!!

Ken

Dean F said...

Hi Ken, I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. For me Thanksgiving is the start of "fly tying season". I fill in this seasons holes in my fly boxes and work on new (to me) tying techniques. It seems like there's always another tying skill to learn. I will still cast a line on occasions when the weather allows but anyway you cut it its going to be cold and the fishing will be slow. Every aspect of fly fishing becomes more difficult with the arrival of the "Dark" season. I once lost a really big Swift Rainbow, maybe even a PB, when the blood knot I tied with wet fingers in 28 degrees let go. The curly pig tail in my line told the story. Thanksgiving is the tipping point for me when the New England weather turns fly fishing from enjoyment to struggle. Fine by me because I love tying at my bench almost as much as fishing.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dean F,

There used to be a tying season for me but I fixed that by selling flies and supplying them for booked clients year round! Actually I love tying as much as fishing.

Ken

Brian Miner said...

Ken...thanks for sharing your fly fishing world with us. We are all the better for it.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Brian,

Thank you!!!

Ken