Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

"The difference between fly fishers and worm dunkers is the quality of their excuses".  Anonymous







It is safe to assume that outside of the major holidays(and sometimes even them) my fly tying is an everyday activity.  

There is no "fly tying season" for me. Each day starts around 4:30am (earlier in the Summer) with coffee and "restocking the shelves", so to speak or just experimenting with this and that.  As I've said many times "if I couldn't flyfish any longer I'd still tie flies"


Every so often I get hooked on a pattern or style and I'll tie up a bunch.  That happened last Spring with a simple grub.  I don't want to put a name to it simply because in my not-so-humble opinion all "grubs" are a knockoff of Frank Sawyers Killer Bug and that includes Walt and his worm.  This fly is dirt simple:

size 12 or 14 scud hook

Wire for weight on the underbody

Body -shell pink thread 6x or heavier

Thorax - natural rabbit

If you don't want the wire underbody then use a micro shot 8 inches above the fly.  That fly and a micro shot worked very well on the Ware last year.  Just keep it deep.  Yes, you can put a bead on it if you must. 


Al's Rat
This guy from Pennsylvania (Al Miller) came up with this very simple midge pattern.  I love it because it is simple  and simple is usually all we need to fool trout.









Hook - standard dry fly size 20 through 28 

Body - 8/0 to 12/0 thread in black or brown  Try to taper this body, thin in the back, thicker in the front.

Thorax - Al used muskrat, I use rabbit all in natural color.


Book for April, May and June

The calendar is filling up so don't wait too long.

Ken





3 comments:

MDH said...

Ken,

I tie something similar - size 12/14, light pink body, rabbit thorax - and then tie in a turn and a half of partridge, sometimes I put a few fibers in for a tail. It is killer early on when the Hendricksons are hatching! First day out tomorrow, on the Deerfield. It has been far too long!

Mike from Pittsfield

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike from Pittsfield,

Good Luck!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Good looking caddis larvae!!

GW