Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, March 6, 2021

Not Yet And Bead Chains

"Fly-fishing is  solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with conflicting aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point" - John Gierach

Top of the EB Access Road





We are all itching to get out there to the freestones which are the heart and soul of our pastime BUT it's still too early.  " Wait a minute. I drove by my favorite stream and it looked fine" one would say but let's look closer.

A lot of water in central and western Ma is still locked up in ice and snow and hasn't come close to melting yet which will raise the rivers. We haven't had a good spring rain yet which will raise the rivers.  March is known for being one of the snowiest months and that snow will melt and, you guessed it, raise the rivers!!!

Here is a sampling of our rivers showing the current flow conditions and the historical average flow for this date. March 6th.

Millers - Current flow - 493 cfs                   Historical flow 630 cfs

Ware -    Current flow - 120 cfs                       "             "   238

(The Ware looks good but the water temperature is only 33 degrees)

EB -        Current flow - 127 cfs *                 Historical Flow 281

(they are playing with the EB flow)

West Branch Westfield - 94 cfs                      "                "    143

Squannacoock - `111 cfs                                "                "     130

Assabet            -269 cfs                                  "                "    283

The Millers, Ware, EB and the WB still have a lot of ice and snow in their watersheds and even without added rain or snow these rivers will go UP in March and April. The Squannacook and Assabet may have already lost some snow pack, or never had it, and that is why they are running close to normal.

                                                          Looking at the Gorge


The photo to the right is of the deep part of Chesterfield Gorge on the EB AND IT'S FROZEN OVER!!!! I believe you may be able to actually walk through the Gorge but don't try it.


Here's the Lesson

It's way too early to hit the freestones and it's way too early to stock these rivers.  Yes, I know that the truck chasers can hardly wait so have them hit Lake Cochituate or Jamaica Pond for fresh stockers but don't stock the rivers too early.  We have plenty of time to fly fish this year.  BTW, if you are a truck chaser you're on the wrong blog.


Bead Chain Soft Hackle




Maybe it was John Gierach that got my head turned in this direction or maybe it's this nagging urge to catch smallmouth on a sunken fly.  In any event I've been banging out some bead chain nymph-like creatures for this Spring and Summer.

My personal best Smallie on the Millers went about three pounds (caught on a size 12 stonefly nymph) and I've caught a number in the two pound range without really targeting them.  I used to clean house on Wachusett years ago by slowly working a weighted leech on a sinking line. I think it's time for a pilgrimage this year.


Let's book a trip!!!!!

Ken



14 comments:

Paul Fay said...

Ken agreed on it being way to early to stock but ive always found this time of year esp on the squanacook or similar streams to be a great time to nymph up some held over fish before the snow really melts and rains bring the flows way up

Millers River Flyfisher said...

The reason I mentioned early stocking is that there is some movement to stock very soon which is a joke. If there are holdovers that you are targeting fine but fresh bows right now are a joke. I brings the worst out in many anglers.

Ken

Anonymous said...



Yes, still much snow in central and western Ma but It will probably be gone by April Fools Day (I hope). More snow and/or more rain will give us another slow start to a season which is ok with me because real fly fishing doesn't start in central Ma until April. I like the take on smallmouth, a totally underestimated fish. It's wild, fights hard and beats rainbows most of the time. If it only freely rose to dries we would not need bows.

JW

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Jw,

The Smallies are totally underestimated. I might want to catch a 14 inch smallmouth than a 14 inch rainbow but I'm talking about rainbows in the Swift which are a very different critter -moving around without any real purpose until they disappear.

Ken

Paul Fay said...

Try skating a stimulator on a choppy evening on the chu chu or fish a hex hatch they will deff be in the rising mix...smallies are a blast to fish on the fly

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous, I’ve had luck catching smallies on the Millers in the summer on dry flies. I see rises and target them. Earlier in the evening they are often smallies and later they are trout. It can be fun to catch smallies on size 16-18 dries. Their rises are surprisingly simliar to trout, at least to me.

Chuck

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Chuck,

I conducted a dry fly battle under the Holtshire Rd bridge years ago with what I thought was a good sized brown sipping emergers. The brown turned out to be a smallmouth about 15 inches. A beautiful fish!!!

Ken

"Doc" said...

Ken,

After having Ken correct my source before I won't quote this author, "pound for pound the gamest fish that swims" or some thing like that. I think it was Henschall talking about the smallmouth bass. I once hooks what I thought was a large trout (like others) on the Kennebec R. on a #22 BWO. Fought that fish for about 15-20 min until I got it close to the net only to discover it was a smallie of about 15 inches. Not disappointed. One fish that went into the memory book. A beautiful fish. Smallies do eat tiny dryflies and do fight like hell!!!
"Doc"

Dave P said...

I've had some great fun with smallies on the fly in Maine, fishing stillwaters from a kayak. When hooked, a good size smallie would tow the kayak around!

Planning to hit the Swift on Tuesday. First day off in a looong time!

Cheers, Dave P

Sam said...

Ken,

The first fish I ever caught on a fly rod was a smallmouth bass, Gate 43 at Quabbin in 1969. Mom and Dad took us boys there once in a while aiming for crappies, fishing minnows on a bobber. What a nice fish fry Mom would make for us after those trips.

One trip I broke out my new Ted Williams fly rod I had saved up for. I have no idea what the leader was, probably a 6 or 8 foot piece of mono. I knew nothing of tapered leaders back then. I managed to get that popper fly out there and a smallmouth blasted it. To say I was thrilled would be an understatement!

I have heard there are smallmouth in the Chicopee River where I live. I think this year I will spend some time trying to catch some. They really are a great game fish.

Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

There's a stretch on the Chicopee, behind an Elk's building, that looks like great smallmouth water.

Doc,

On a #22 BWO. Good job!! And pound for pound a smallmouth is better than a hatchery rainbow.

KEN

"Doc" said...

Thanks Ken,
of course I had 2 advantages over that smallie, I caught it on a cane rod and on a Daiichi hook.

"Doc"

BobT said...

***UNRELATED TOPIC** YOU MAY NOT WANT TO PUT IT IN
Cicadas are coming! Probably not to New England from what I have heard but up to NY and NJ. Once every 17 years I guess. Is anyone thinking about trying to catch this phenomenon somewhere (the Delaware might be an interesting place to try)? While they are not expected to be present in MA this time around they are expected to hit in 2038. I have a friend who fished them in NZ and he likened it to piranha's feeding on small animals in the water which is my favorite kind of fly fishing LOL.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

If it has to deal with trout eating bugs then the comment gets published! I was thinking of the Delaware too!

Ken