Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, March 12, 2021

Up And Down The Ware River

 

" I like tailwater rivers, not because they offer better fishing, but because they draw  fly fishers away from my favorite rivers which are not tailwaters.

"Where is everybody? said my client for the day as we stepped into the Ware River.  "They're down the road on the Swift" was the quick reply.   And this is always the case. The dedicated Ware River fly fisher should be happy that the Swift is only 10 minutes way and it appears to be just too much of a temptation to hit the Y Pool and the Pipe and the crowds instead of enjoying a very pleasant freestone experience and catching a lot of trout.  Most people know very little of this river except for the Church Street bridge section and that's good for the rest of us.  Many have NEVER fished it and that included Charlie Shadan of The Evening Sun Fly Shop. That condition was rectified last May when Charlie took about 20 or so one afternoon.  He's another convert!!!
                                                        Charlie at it again!!

 
A River Of Bugs

The Ware is an insect factory, pure and simple.  April will bring out clouds of caddis followed by Quill Gordons with the best QG hatch I've seen in Massachusetts being right here. All this is followed by our friends the Hendricksons in early/mid May.  As you all know (YOU should know) the above hatches are all mid day Spring hatches with the hendrickson spinners finishing up by late afternoon. Summer has great evening fishing!!!

The Trout

Bows and browns are the game with the bows waving goodbye as soon as summer heat hits us. The browns will make it through the summer as long as there isn't a drought like last summer.  If the water level is good in the Fall we get fish again.



Book A Ware Trip    

The next three months will be great on this river.  Pick a day and we will do it.

Ken








6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last Spring I had some great days on the Ware, usually in the morning. Previously Ken showed me a number of places to go on the river and I’ve done a bit of additional exploring on my own. While you might see another angler or two, you will usually be able to move up and down the river hitting good pools and runs. As I think I’ve written in Ken’s blog before, there are some great areas well upstream from the Church St. bridge at the various bridges that cross the river all the way up and beyond Gilbertsville. They are closer to where I live, so I usually go there. It’s much more peaceful than the Swift and in the Spring there are plenty of fish. If there isn’t a hatch coming off, nymphs and small leech-like streamers (sorry Ken) work great on the brown, brookies and rainbows stocked there.

Chuck

Millers River Flyfisher said...


Thank you Chuck!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Might have to take a trip there this Spring and skip the Farmington Hendrickson crowds! My father's favorite river was the Quabog. Don't hear much about that river.

Anonymous said...

I fished the Swift on Friday, and I was dismayed at the level of trash I saw discarded on it's banks. I wished I had a trash bag to collect some of it, and I regret not doing so. There was an obvious open fire pit just above the opposite side of the pipe where empty beer cans had been thrown into the river and left on the banks. Sadly, there were more to be found in the river and on the banks of Cady Lane. I'm not sure what the hell is wrong with people who do this. Next time I'm there I'll bring a trash bag.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

This all must be new because it wasn't there mid week. No fires are allowed there especially with the forest fire conditions that we have. Littering is never allowed. 800-632-8075 is the Environmental Police number and they do respond. Some may say that the bait boys created this but there's a fire pit by the Y Pool too!

Ken

zach said...

Are you fishing the ware now?!