Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Big And Bushy

 "You get over these small loses the way a lizard grows a new tail, and you end up remembering the great uncaught fish as vividly as you do the caught ones - and just as fondly too, because there's a part of every fisherman that roots for the fish."  John Gierach


Here's my favorite later Spring and Summer searching pattern.  It looks like a half dozen different flies but most importantly it floats like a cork and works very well in fast water like you see at the EB.  

A typical EB evening starts around 5pm with this fly in the heavy water.  It will probably be the biggest morsel those trout will see on the surface and they will attack it.  As the sun begins to set the standard hatches start up and I retire this beast until the next time.

Hook - size 10 dry or light wire nymph hook

Tail - deer mask

Body - bright synthetic dubbing (I like yellow)

Hackle - cream, grizzly or badger

Wing - More deer mask

Drop a soft hackle off the back or fish it solo.

The Rivers

The Millers is perfect at 205 cfs and the Swift is fine at 114cfs. Pick your spots on the other rivers.  Remember, the the hot spot of May can be as dead as a door nail right now.  Search out SHADED DEPTH early in the day or at dusk and pray for rain!!!!

Ken






10 comments:

Paul Fay said...

Love the Gierach quote here because it's so true. I think the ones that have got away may stand out even more in my mind to be honest. Also love the fly does it have a name? I'm thinking that would fish well with a dropper up in the white mountains, there used to be an old timer who sold flies from his house in downtown Lincoln NH and he sold me some similar flies that he called simply terrestrials and ended up being the first fly I caught a trout on

Anonymous said...

A big stimulator which this fly reminds me of will work just as well on the EB and your right they will hammer it! Just an observation but seems like the last couple years or so we are always praying for rain

Millers River Flyfisher said...

I used to tie a big thing called a Millers Bivisible. You can still find it on this blog from years ago. Use the search box at the upper left of the home page.

Ken

Unknown said...

That looks like an Ausable Bomber created by Fran Betters. They’re great!

Anonymous said...

I remember that MR Bivisible. You could see it a mile away.

GW

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is a near-exact replica of Fran Betters' Ausable Bomber; the only difference is that Mr. Betters used woodchuck guard hairs for the tail and calf tail for the wing. It's an essential fly when fishing the Ausable and other Adirondack rivers.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

The more things change the more they stay the same!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

On the Millers yesterday early and late, South Royalston then Erving then the upper trestle at Wendell Depot (the two rocks below the trestle.) Gorgeous day. Lots of tan caddis around and one or two other things. I tried elk hair caddis, wooly worm, and a yellow stimulator, very similar to your fly, Ken, but in a smaller size. The little bass were very excited by the stimulator, but not a trout to be seen. Left at 8:45, probably as the trout night shift were just waking up, but I was worn out.

Peter

Kevin said...

Went to the Swift this morning. Got there at 5am on a Monday morning. First car in. "Cool, guess I'll give it a shot north of the bridge." Had the Bubbler and Y Pool to myself for about an hour. At about 6am, I look over my shoulder and a guy comes into the Y Pool, stands 15 feet off my shoulder and starts casting. There's not another single soul on the river! 15 minutes later a group of 4 come in and stand 10 feet off his shoulder. So I went downstream and caught 2 monster browns and a rainbow. There were literally no other people on the river. I don't understand why any person would stand 10' off another person's shoulder to fish when the entire river is available. This is not OK and it's why I avoid this stretch of the swift almost always. But as I said, I was there at 5am on a Monday and I was the only one for a while. So it was nice while it lasted. Caught a rainbow and a brookie before moving on.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Kevin,

That's the Y Pool crowd for you. I've been trying to get them tp "explore" more but it is really a lost cause. Solitude is not what they are after. They could of seen you catch those big browns downstream but they would never budge from the Y Pool.

Ken