Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Successful trout fishing isn't a matter of brute force or even persistence, but something more like 

 


This is the High Season for rising trout on the Swift.  The Sulphurs are back and you will need a few essentials: Some sparsely dressed sulphur emergers in sizes 14 through 18 tied as a traditional wet fly.  Wait a minute you may say, "isn't size 14 just a bit too big. Yes, but not in the riffles where you want a larger fly to stand out in all that turbulence. 


The wet fly still is presented on the swing and and probably no more that 10 inches from the surface in that knee deep column of water. the trout will be near the surface too or at least looking up.

The way I like to tie them - 

Body- yellow or yellow olive thread around 8 to 12 o/o

Thorax - Bright yellow dubbing (I like rabbit)

Hackle - ginger colored hen hackle.  Look for a cape with the smallest hackles.


I had two guys who caught their first trout on this fly this week.  The hatch starts around 10 am.  On the next post we will talk about the dry fly for this species.


It's currently 2:30 pm and it's pouring with a flash flood watch and the temperature has dropped to 72 degrees.  Good bye heat wave???


KEN



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken, long time listener, first time caller. It seems like a lot of the freestones are in the 70s, is it still ok to fish them? Thank you!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

Generally speaking you will not do well unless you are fishing for bass BUT some of my best evenings on the Millers, a freestone, have been with the water temperature at 70. And I didn't hurt the fish either because I got them to the net quickly. I can vividly recall two Millers browns (it's always browns) that hit the fly, fought hard, and then broke me off. 1 to 2 hours later I caught them and got my fly back. No harm done.

Ken

Hibernation said...

Ken those are pretty. Its been months since I've been able to get out - ugh. Now I'm jonesing even more :) to go.

That said, I always did my sulfur emergers with a darker brown. I like that ginger offering and am going to need to try that.

Unknown said...

Hi Ken,

Is the West branch of the Westfield worth it right now? Around the Huntington area.

Thanks
Mike

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Maybe