Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, February 6, 2022

 

Streamers And A Caddis

" Most of my guiding clients have one request besides catching trout - "I don't like crowds" is the constant theme and crowds can be avoided even on the Swift. We just avoid the Y Pool and the Pipe unless we are the only ones there which is rare. Being crowd free is easy on the Millers, Ware and the three branches of the Westfield." Ken



I don't fish streamers in fresh water very much but when I get the chance to chase stripers and blues I have a few favorites that I like. It's also going to give me a chance to tie a unique style of streamer - the Hud's Bushwacker style!

Check out the photo and take a good look at the hook. No traditional streamer hook here but a PLASTIC WORM HOOK  (the worm is plastic, not the hook) in a 2/0 size. The fly is basically all wing and no body and the wing actually forms a weed guard for the hook.

Blues inhaled this fly when I first used it in Florida 3 year ago.


The question is will one be able to get this hook in a trout size, say a size 4? The bushwacker tying style certainly has its benefits over the traditional style - more material movement and the ability to create the slim body profile that many bait fish have.

I think that 2/0 might tempt one of those Swift River browns!!!! (maybe)




I also needed to stock up on some old reliables and one is the simple DMS Caddis. First used at the junction of the  Cold River and the Deerfield 30 years ago this fly just gets it done.

Hook - size 14-16 standard wet or dry

Body - grey dubbing of either rabbit or synthetic

Wing - sparse grey partridge

Head - black ostrich

Fish this critter near the surface especially in the riffles


Ken


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the DMS recipe. Do you dust it up to keep it in the film or just fish it wet as is?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 7:32,

I usually end up fishing it wet in the riffles.

Ken

Hibernation said...

Ken,
those streamers work great for freshwater too - in weedy / snaggy areas. Be it bass, pike/pickerel, trout, panfish... If you fly fish snaggy spots, they are worth a shot.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Will,

I know that they would work in fresh water but, like I said, I don't fish streamers that much, mostly in the salt. I suppose that I could find hooks of that style in a size 4 or 6 for trout.

Ken

Paul Fay said...

Ken I think the streamer pattern as is would work well for anything eating smelt. I can see it being very effective on the chu chu for Lakers and even smallies. I'm glad you posted about the dms caddis because it reminded me to tie a few, this really is one of those all around patterns that I love come may. If I had one fly to fish the Miller's this would be it, very deadly with the L. lift at the end of a swing and also greased up on top. With the exception of one very large millers brown on a streamer, soft hackle flies have accounted for ALL of my success on the Millers they are very versatile in the way they are effective throughout the water column.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul Fay,

1. I agree with the featured streamer being good on most freshwater rivers but I would use a smaller version.

2. The DMS took more trout on the Millers, Ware and EB for me than any other pattern over the past three or so years. An old fishing buddy from Athol, Rick F., showed me the pattern on the Deerfield 30 years ago and it was a killer. That was before the Deerfield became a kayak and rubber raft theme park!!!

Ken

BobT said...

FYI MFC Fly Co makes a Galloup"Belly Bumper Hook" #7055 which comes as small as #4...it looks like a good one for what you are doing here. You can get it at his shop and others.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

I'll check those out.

Ken