Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, March 5, 2022

Overlooked Places On The EB

If catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or toonarrowly focused on measurable results. - Steve Stuver


Every river that has trout will have certain areas that will be crowded. Now, these spots are crowded for a number of reasons: easy access is one. It's a stocking point is another reason and also the misguided belief that this is the best holding water, therefore we only will fish here (Y Pool and The Pipe). Basically our fellow anglers will forsake 80% of a river and jam themselves into the remaining sections.  It's a big mistake!!



The photo to the right is of the upper EB just below the Gorge. I will step into the river looking downstream and start crossing over to the left bank. This is dicey when the flow is 300 or above. I like 200 cfs.

This is where I caught my first EB trout years ago. I never see anyone fishing here and I'm fishing alone all the way down to The Bliss Pool. 

This pocket water is perfect for swinging a large soft hackle or a tiny marabou streamer.  You will always have plenty of backcasting room fishing on the left side but no room fishing on the right.

A 5wt rod of 8.5 to 9 feet is perfect.  I've done well with larger dries here especially in the evening.

Now, If the EB flow is above 300 cfs you may want to drive down to the Bliss Pool, cross over to the opposite side (much easier crossing here than upstream) and start walking upstream and hit those good spots up there.


All that Ice and Flies for Sale

I really can't remember such a COLD month like this past February.  A lot of our freestones can actually be walked across and hopefully this will not harm the fish and the insects that live underneath.  We don't need a major thaw with tons of rain because that could cause those dreaded ice dams which can ruin a section of river. An easy thaw would be nice.  

Order your flies now!!


Ken





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I drive past that spot every time but never fish it. Thanks for the tip.

GW

Anonymous said...

We are going to need a great spring for rain cause not much snow pack! Especially for the E.Branch!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 4:29,

I totally disagree. Snow pack counts in the mountains where many feet can fall and take a lot of the summer to melt, keeping the rivers high. This doesn't happen in the East. I've seen more than 2 feet of snow in the woods in mid March and then drought and bone dry conditions by late June. What is more important is how much RECENT rain we have had.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hello Ken, What is a good fly line for a 3wt 7-5 ft TFO rod and what type of tapper? Thanks, Ed

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ed,

A good general line choice for that rod would be a 3wt weight forward floating line. If you are going to fish small flies on small streams you may want to get a 3wt double taper also.

Now, here's some good news. ALL of my lines were purchased from a Chinese company found on Amazon. I don't remember the name but you can easily find them because they cost only 20 bucks or less. THEY CAST VERY WELL and a polymer chemist told me that the coating on these lines is as good as domestic lines. I'll buy American BUT if I can save 40 to 60 bucks I will!! (It also makes me think that maybe we have been ripped off for a while.)

BTW, I have a 7.5 foot 3wt Redington that is my favorite non-bamboo fly rod for trout!!

Ken

Chet said...

Ken,Funny you should mention and show a picture of that spot on the EB.Right in the middle of the river,behind one of those big boulders, is where I caught my first rainbow in the EB ,pre-covid. Caught a brookie above the state park and below that restaurant, several days earlier.Cheers,Chet

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ken for the advice on the 3wt lines especially concerning the cost. I will try to find the line you mentioned. Ed

Kozman said...

If that is the spot I'm thinking of, the river bends slightly left and there is a chute of water on the right side with a small eddy. That is where I also caught my first fish on the EB. Thanks for the memory.