Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

The Tiny Swimming Nymphs - The Baetis Family

 "The future is not what it used to be" - Yogi Berra


Thomas Ames Jr. Photo

If you fish spring creeks or the tailwaters you will run into this fly because it loves to call these waters home. I'm not writing about one particular fly but the one most of us want to call the tiny Blue Winged Olive. The BWO tag actually refers to about a half a dozen different species that are very similar in size, color and movement.  They all like to swim, especially at hatching time. Before that they like to hang out in the weedy areas that you find in the above waters.  It's when they swim about that interests us!


 
This little guy loves flyfishers because he is readily available to us from March to November. On a cloudy mild day in October (best month) the surface of the Swift, Millers and the EB will have countless trout working the surface chasing this emerger. Above is my favorite pre emerger fly. It has a mylar body, a pinch of olive hares ear for the thorax and a small (size 11/0) olive plastic seed bead for the head. That plastic bead is important because it imitates the nymph's head (check out the photos). The hook is a curved nymph hook size 18. The beads can be found in any crafts store and you get about a zillion of them for 3 bucks.

Fish this on the swing and when the rising trout get to be too much to stand change to a small soft hackle in an olive tone.  The dry imitation, if you need it, comes last.  Many times I don't need it.

This fly is not a crack of dawn insect.  Real action starts around 10 am and lasts until dusk.


Ken
 



4 comments:

Sam said...

Yogi was right, Ken, and that is why we should fish when we can. A 60 degree Sunday invited me to fish for a few hours, but I got zero action. Another fly fisherman and two spin fishermen I ran into reported same. I didn't take the water temp, but I have to believe still firmly in the 30's. Someone posted on another site I look at that Quabbin is overflowing the spillway. I wonder if any fish will come over into the Swift this time of year.

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

The overflow started in late February and went from about 60 cfs to about 130 cfs. Now, I haven't gone up to the Y Pool for a while so I don't know if it's an increased release or an overflow. A few years ago we had a springtime overflow and ended up with bass and pickerel in the Swift.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Nice idea on the emerger. I have good luck with a traditional tied PTail (copper wire vs thread) fished the same.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 3:46,

I can't force myself to tie the PT with wire instead of thread like you and Frank Sawyer do. I will give it a try.

Ken