Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, March 24, 2022

What A Cold Spring!

 My IQ tests results came back.  They were negative - Anonymous 


 

"OPENING DAY" used to have nothing to do with baseball and everything to do with "the first day of fishing" which, here in the Baystate, meant the 3rd Saturday in April. It was an absolute fact (well maybe not that absolute) that the 5 days prior to the magical day would have temperatures in the 60's and maybe the 70's and the streams would be at a perfect flow.  Hell, sometimes you'd see Hendricksons!!!

But on that 3rd Saturday you would arise at 3am to a cold, heavy rain and possibility snow.

I know it's New England but I don't have to like it. And I don't think that fishing in a cold rain in a swollen river builds character. I do believe that casting a floating emerger to a rising brown on a Summer evening while in short  sleeves does build character and it's much more fun.



I have been on a nymph hook craze for a while now and the the insect that is getting my attention is any of the caddis pupae that inhabit the freestones that I fish.  Bodies are tan floss with thin copper rib and sometimes the backs are touched up with a brown sharpie. There is some wire around the thorax for weight and then peacock over the thorax area.  Finish with soft hackle.

I've been fishing this fly at the Bridge Street Pool on the Millers since the 80's and it always works.  Stay with a short cast and high sticking and you will do fine!

As I write it is 35 degrees and raining and next week is supposed to suck.  Things will get better!!!


8 comments:

Paul Fay said...

Ken I've always tried to wrap my head around the soft hackles effectiveness on the Miller's river. It seems a drabby olive soft hackle is the fly to have on this stream and it seems to work all season long. I think it really is a multi species fly used to imitate swimming nymphs, diving caddis, mayfly nymphs shooting to the film to wriggle free of shucks, who knows exactly what the fish think but damn those flies really work their magic on this stream, so much so that I rearley poke about turning stones like I do on other streams I just tie on the old sparse partridge and olive!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

Sylvester Nemes said it all in his book "The Soft Hackled Fly". It works imitating emerging Mayflies and Caddis. The Olive works great but I always carry the old standard Partridge and Orange. It works when the sulphurs are hatching I think because there is a hint of orange in the body of those nymphs. My DSM Caddis is a SH fly and with the dark peacock head and dull grey body it looks (to me anyway) like a caddis. I carry SH flies in orange, grey, olive, yellow and brown and in sizes 8 to 16. My big yellow soft hackles (8) imitate stoneflies.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,
What product line do you prefer for purchasing these? I have bought some in the past (brand will remain nameless, that were not very "leggy or spikey" but rather much softer and limp. Looking for a good but not bank breaker brand if you will...Thanks

Anonymous said...

Like the look of your caddis pupa! Tan bodies work better for me than green all things considered.

Paul Fay said...

Ken I'll admit I haven't read much fly fishing literature. Nemes book is on my list with a good few others !

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 2:56,

You are talking about flies, right?? If so I recommend my flies and at $1.80ea and free shipping its a deal!

Paul Fay,
The Nemes book totally changed my fishing life!!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,
No, not your flies...asking about the specific manufacturer of the partridge you use.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

"The specific manufacturer of the partridge you use????????" How about Mother Nature!!!