Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, May 1, 2022

Goodbye April And Hello May On The Millers

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said "ok, you're ugly too" - Rodney Dangerfield
Lost above Route 9.  The tip section of an Orvis Clearwater. Contact me and I'll contact the owner.  Ken

Yes, T.S. Elliot said that "April is the cruelest month" which leads me to believe that he was a flyfisher going through an April like what we have gone through. Cold weather, cold, high water and a steady NW wind made it difficult.

But things are changing. The EB and the Ware are now flowing fine. The Millers has dropped over 300 cfs in one week.  It's still high at 628 but Orcutt Brook is very fishable.  That's where I was yesterday.  The wind still sucked but two bows came to the net.  Give this river some time and remember, Orcutt Pool is the best place to fish this river when the flow is over 450 CFS.
                                                             Ocutt in the Summer

The Swift

It's starting to drorainbowp. A week ago it was flowing at 454 cfs and is now at 362. Most of that excess is the "over the dam" flow and as soon as Quabbin drops the Swift will drop like a rock (same thing happened three years ago).  And remember what I wrote a few posts ago about fishing the Overflow Arm. 


Thank You

You readers have been swamping me with comments and that is great. Unlike some other blogs most of the comments are from readers and not from the author(s).  Just a note: it seems that there is a lot of support to turn down our reliance on rainbows and put more emphasis on habitat and species that will have a fighting chance of making it through the Summer.  That's a good thing.  

 

I'm hearing stories about fly fishers going into what appears to be a state of depression because they are not catching trout this Spring.  WAKE UP!!!!  These are dumb recently stocked fish and they are not what we are after. For me the fly fishing season starts when the flows go down, the water temperature goes up and the mayflies and caddis start hatching.  I'll fish in the cold and snow if steelhead, lake run browns or salmon are the game but rubber bows????

Ken

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, any chance you would consider drafting a petition for you blog that followers/anglers could sign to engage the state in considering an increase in brown/decrease in rainbow stockings for rivers in the future? Based on your reader views, this could be a good forum to get the ball rolling, which could further be out as momentum builds. Just a thought...

Millers River Flyfisher said...

I'd like to see TU, the designated voice of trout fishers, sit up and do something on this before I get directly involved again. Remember, there are two kinds of trout anglers in Ma. One wants to see more environmental protection, more native species and more sustainability (fish that can successfully reproduce). The others just want big fish and that means dumb rainbows. In my perfect world the latter lose out!!!

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

I'd like to see TU step up on this before I do. That's what it's there for, right???

Ken

Dean F said...

Hi Ken, for me fly fishing season starts when the @#!% wind finally dies out. I support the idea of stocking Browns instead of Rainbows. Stocking Rainbows in waters where they will only last until Memorial Day is a waste. Browns would at least have a shot of taking hold in some of these waters.

Anonymous said...

I caught some nice holdover browns in the EB this spring…the trout are there

Anonymous said...

I've caught bows in the Miller's in August. Not shooting down the sentiments on stocking and all that jazz. I support it and would sign said petition. Just want everyone involved to understand that there is a lot of things going on in that water that we don't understand, including MA Wildlife, and even Godfather Ken here too. I think it's a worthy pursuit, but making arguments that rainbow trout don't make it past labor day is patently false. Making arbitrary statements like that will kill the conversation fairly quick if such an endeavor in activism were to be taken on.

-Jake Fortier

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

I've fished the Millers for over 30 years and even though I've caught rainbows in the summer (cool, wet summers) it really becomes a brown trout river. Browns easily make up over 90% of the catch in the summer. I've conducted surveys that support this and have been with the DFW doing electroshocking in September where NO BOWS WERE FOUND.

What else you got???

Ken

Anonymous said...

Bows hold over in the deep water below the birch hill dam.