Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, May 16, 2022

Notes On The Dry Fly

 

 "Any disturbance of the surface made by a trout is usually referred to as a "rise", but the characterization is erroneous except where it is applied to fish feeding upon the surface.  Rising fish are the delight of the dry fly fisher, but are really the easiest to take provided, always, that no error is made in the presentation of the fly.  The angler is called upon to exhibit a fine skill is casting, a knowledge of the insect upon which the fish is feeding, and to make the proper selection of an imitation; but he is aided materially by being apprised of the location of the fish, and is further helped by the knowledge that he is throwing to a willing one." - George M.L. LaBranche, The Dry Fly And Fast Water



As any regular reader of this blog knows I am a devotee of the soft hackle fly and the "swing" of that fly. No other presentation mimics the pre-emergence stage of an aquatic insect and if the trout are feeding and the presentation is right you will catch trout.

But it's the DRY FLY that captures the real essence of fly fishing and it has since the mid to late 1800's and it's patron saints, Gordon, LaBranche, Hewitt, Halford codified the techniques that worked best.

Upstream Cast

First off, they all used an upstream presentation which, if done right, will present a drag free offering. Imagine a clock face with the angler standing at 6 and the rising trout at 11 or 1.  You can cast without "lining" the trout. If the trout is rising at 11 then the angler should position at 5 or 4 and cast a few feet above the steady rise. Just keep your fly line away from the riser.

Most of my dry fly trout are caught with this presentation.

Hunting for Rises

I have come across pools and runs that look very promising but I see no rises.  This usually happens in the late afternoon when the sun is still high. That's when I search out the riffles with a buoyant attractor fly. Cast upstream on a fairly short line is all it takes.  As the sun sets you should move back to the pools and runs.  The action will be there.

One of my favorite methods has been the very slow walk upstream looking for rises. This worked like a dream on the Squanny years ago.  The walk started around 6pm and would go to sundown and there were always rising trout or should I say RISING BROWNS. Rainbows were never in the mix.

A Dry Fly Summer

2009 was a damp Summer. Not washouts but enough rain to keep the rivers flowing. It was a perfect Summer on the EB where I fished many evenings. I would drive down to the gate and then take the walk to Les's Pool or start at Slant Rock Pool and fish up to Chronicle Run and then to The Bliss Pool.  I caught a lot of trout that Summer, from Memorial Day to Labor Day and they were all caught on an upstream dry fly!!!




15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ken,

Although my direction of dry fly presentation depends on the specific circumstances I encounter, usually I have more success with a quartering-downstream cast to a rising fish, as this: 1) ensures the fly enters the trout's cone of vision first; 2) controls drag effectively with a reach cast or pile cast; and 3) permits submergence of the fly to 'fish out' each cast on the swing (particularly when using emergers or soft hackles).

Indeed, the quartering-downstream presentation is a near-universal technique on the Delaware's West Branch and Main Stem; whether wading or afloat, Delaware guides always position their clients to allow a quartering-downstream cast to rising fish.

-Mike

Anonymous said...

Dear Ken,
I prefer to carry a can of worms when I fish with my fly rod (Folgers, red can). I find it to be very effective, whether I use an upstream or downstream presentation.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike,

I would say that 90% of the dry fly trout I have caught have been on an upstream presentation with leaders in the 12 foot range. I cast above the trout and never "line" the fish.

The rise of rafting trips has conditioned many anglers to quarter their casts downstream (they certainly aren't going upstream). I don't care for that style of fishing.

Ken

JoeS said...

Upstream presentations increase your hookup percentage as well. Fishing smaller dries down and across puts you at a bit of a disadvantage on your hook sets. Down and across is a valuable technique to have if it's the only way to reach those fish, but every time I'm fishing that way, I'm trying to figure out if I can actually get behind the trout and cast up to them.

Brendan said...

I always find the down and across presentation on a slack line produces the best drifts for challenging fish, but it is the worst geometry for hooking the fish. I still have dreams about some of the fish I have raised with downstream presentations and missed on the hookset... in particular one Henry's Fork rainbow that I pricked. (Most wade slowly downstream on that river to be quieter and avoid spooking the fish.)

Anonymous said...

I think of fly fishing as a life long process on a continuum. Some fly fishers may catch a trout here and there. Some may tie there own flies. Some may have an extensive knowledge of the hatch and what stage trout are feeding on. Some fly fishers may catch trout hand over fist. Some fly fishers may cast with an upstream presentation, and some with a downstream presentation.
For me, I’m not a great fly fisher. I’m not a good one. I’m a fair one. I tie most of my own flies and I catch some fish, not a great number. And I hope to move along that continuum in my life, becoming a better one.
But in my opinion, it’s about the enjoyment that one gets from engaging in the activity. I enjoy it immensely. And my own personal opinion is who am I to say that my methods are superior to someone else’s methods (even if they’re slinging worms from a red Folgers coffee can). If the person who’s slinging the worms, or casting solely fry flies get personal pleasure out of the process, then that is what matters. It’s an internal, personal experience with a stream and the fish or whatever. And if someone’s telling me that their method is better or whatever, then I’m my opinion, they’re suspect.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

JoeS,

Good point. Down and across many times is the only way to fish a stretch especially if you're in a drift boat.

Brendan,

Good comment but I think one would spook else fish by wading upstream.

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 11:05,

You said that well. It's a simple sport that we have made very complicated. We should just simply fish and enjoy it.

Ken

Paul Fay said...

I can remember a day many years ago on the cold river, I was camping in mohawk state forest , I had a Kaufman style stimulator and caught many many browns slowly wading upstream and casting to likely zones they were even hitting the fly as I skated it back down in softer pockets. Probably one of my best days fishing to be honest!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul Fay,

That spot, where the Cold meets the Deerfield, was where I was introduced to a fly that later morphed into the DMS Caddis. I took many fish there!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Up above, you talk about the “swing”, and (paraphrasing) how no other presentation mimics a hatching insect better.
I too have caught plenty of fish on the swing.
But I’m pretty sure Oliver Edwards talks about how that approach is unnatural. How no insect comes across the current in that manner.
So I’m confused. I guess if it works, do it.

Falsecast said...

Anonymous- Well said and i very much agree with you! I spent a large part of my youth watching a bobber with great anticipation or drifting worms on snelled hooks. As long as you’re having fun. Ken is right too, that we overcomplicate things a fly fisherman. But, then again, isn’t that part of the fun? For me it is sometimes fun to get weird with at make things harder like only fishing dries or only a hopper.

Regarding upstream versus downstream casts, I find usually the lay of the river dictates what cast is best. It’s advisable to know how to do both well. Also, i think that learning a good tuck or reach cast accomplishes the same goal up or down stream. The point is it’s best for the fly to get to the feeding fish before line or drag. From there it’s whatever floats your boat.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

There is the "swing" that you seeing with salmon and steelheaders and there is the "swing" which has a lot of mend put into it that you see with trout fishers using soft hackles.

Falsecast,

Much of my dry fly fishing has been on small to medium streams or on a small section of a larger river. Places like that lend themselves well to upstream presentation of a dry fly.

Ken

steelhead said...

I fished the upper and lower Millers river C&R areas this week under perfect conditions and no trout! Only a bunch of smallmouths on the lower section in Wendell. I used streamers and buggers with no success. Are they ever going to stock the millers C&R areas again?? I'm not the worlds best fly fisherman but I have been fishing these sections for a long time and can always find a few browns.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

steelhead,

The trout are there but we've had some very hot days which moves the best fishing into the evening or very early AM.

Ken