Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, November 11, 2023

The Weighted Wet

 

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope". - John Buchan






Who says you can't add weight to a standard wet fly such as a soft hackle.  I've been added weight to soft hackles in the form of non toxic wire for years.  I like it because I feel that the trout are attracted to the "body" and not the metal "helmet" of a bead head.  I feel that the fly that I'm offering has to some how look "natural" and not like a piece of costume jewlery. My only concession to "glitter" is the red head such as the one on the fly pictured above. Sometimes I will only use a turn or two of wire on the fly. It adds just enough weight but it can be hardly noticable on a cold day with cold fingers. The red head marks the fly as "weighted".


Remember, try to leave the brookies, who are on their redds, alone. 

Don't wade on the gravel but confine your tip toeing to the weeds and leaf litter.  Brookies don't spawn on that stuff.

Good Luck!


Ken

3 comments:

Dean F said...

Good points Ken- I always prefer to use weighted flies whenever I need some depth instead of adding weight to my tippet. On most of my flies I go with wire vs beads. When I do use beads I’m always drawn to dark tungsten for their more natural appearance. That said I caught a lot of trout and small mouth this year on a marabou streamer that I tie with a bright silver bead at the head. The question now is would that fly be more or less successful with a black bead? I’ll tie a few both ways this winter and find out next season- all part of the fun my friend!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dean, The dark beads work the best. Bright beads work well with fresh stockers but as the season rolls on it's the dark ones that win.

I tie up some small crayfish and damselfly nymphs using bits of bead chain for weight and eyes. They are always a bright color but I have some dark finger polish that makes them perfect. It may work on your beads!

Ken

lunasea said...

I do the opposite with my buggers. The few unweighted ones I tie get a black and red head a la Carrie Stevens.