Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, November 1, 2023

The C.K. Nymph


 


This nugget of a trout fly was conjured up by one Chuck Kraft way back in 1961. Back then the averge nymph fly had a bare minimum of materials built in ( this has 3) and was drab and natural looking.  I like it because it fits the way I fish bigger nymphs - short line and slow, picking pockets as I slowly move along the river.

Hook - standard traditional streamer hook size 10 to 12.

Weight - this is OPTIONAL. I mostly fish it with a drop shot which allows me to go from zero weight to HEAVY in a second or two.  Tie some with wire anyway if you want.

Tail - Most use mallard but I don't. I use grouse or pheasant  fluff to match the body.

Body - any fur will do but the buggier the better.

Hackle - whatever you use make sure it's the lowest grade that you have. Palmer it on and then clip it.



You can rib it with wire but it's not necessary.


If you have broken at least two Euro Nymph rods in the past two years in the act of casting then shelve those critters and use a long standard rod with a stouter tip.  That's what I do.  My casts are shorter with a wider loop and I'm still catching trout (well I was until I blew out my ankle).

Ken








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I remember that fly from years ago. I wondered what happened to it.

P.M