Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, August 27, 2018

A Short EB Morning And This Fall

"A Master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation. He hardly knows which is which." Francois Auguste Rene Chateaubriand


The air temperature was 64 degrees at 7 am below the Gorge and I had the place to myself. I needed an intervention via a stimulator (something smashing a big dry fly) and even though the flow was around 420 I felt confident.

The first brown was a good fish but the second was a horse that rode off to the center of the pool and broke me off. Another brown and two rainbows came to the net. It was a good morning.

If you read the comments section of this blog you will see a number of comments about the good fly fishing on the EB. In fact, I'm beginning to think that this blog is the ONLY blog that covers this river on a regular basis. Same with the Millers, the Swift and the Ware.

This Fall

Check out the brook trout in the photo. It's a Fall brookie in spawning colors from the Swift River which is the premier BT stream in Ma if not New England. If you want some of this action contact me for an October or November trip. BTW, I still have some September openings for the Millers and the EB. September is great. The sun is not as intense, the temperature is comfortable and you don't have to be on the river at dark unless you want to! Book Me!!!!!

Ken










9 comments:

Dalton Noel said...

Glad you had a good morning on the E.B I was there Friday morning using the same tactic to no avail although the flow was higher then and I did have one refusal to my stimulator... I will have to get back there and try again

Book Trout said...

I went to the EB for a couple hours late yesterday afternoon. The flow was a tad higher than I like but manageable. I fished a big bushy Royal Wulff with a partridge and orange dropper. Caught one brown at slant rock, but the highlight of the trip was a rainbow that went airborne twice. Both fish seemed healthy and strong. The EB could be a real gem this fall (unlike last year).

Kindman said...

Ken:
I just wanted to say "Thank you" for the Blog. You do an excellent job, your flies are TOP NOTCH, and the reports are on the mark.
I have been "lurking" for several years, but wanted to let you know, before I drive the several hours to wet the line, I always check your blog to see what is happening.
Congratulations to your daughter ((Great weather too).

Thank you again, sir.

Kindman

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dalton,

It was higher then. I think I hit the sweet spot!

Brook Trout,
The EB is a gem now but, as you say, wait to this Fall. I can't wait!!!!

Kindman,

Thank you for being a reader and making this blog a resource. And yes, it was a great wedding!!

Ken

Josh S. said...

A few big brookies on the swift this past weekend, you would have thought they were browns when they first hit.

A side note, numerous trees down really changed the stretch between the tree pool and the bend at cady lane for the better.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Josh S,

The more trees down the better!! The big halloween snowstorm of 2011 knocked a bunch down into the river and the brookies have never been better.

Ken

Gary said...

Wow, aggressive netting on that brookie rocks in the net from the bottom of the river? So it was 56, air temp when I got to the EB Sunday morning at 6:00 but set up at the other end of the spectrum, there was no one the length of the river up to indian hollow. Left at 10:00 the water was fast where I fished, lots of Iso shucks on the river size 10,12,14,so Iso nymphs in the fast water not a bad choice, lots of fish in the river. But enough trout for now as I head out for south county Rhode Island to trek the coast for Benito and False Albacore (where is that 9wt),on a 3 day trip. Back to the EB next Monday leave some fish for me.

Hibernation said...

Ken, were you fishing the Y pool last night, near the main inflow from the bubbler IE, the North West corner? There was a guy with a hat like yours there, and as the night went on, I wondered if it was you...?

I hit the river last night, was about to wade out but realized there were 3 folks there, so went to the bubbler arm, caught a few bow's and several brookies on foam ant's, then fished down from the Hemlocks with minimal activity... Until hitting the slow water about 50yds up from the route 9 bridge, where I got several nice bow's and browns on the same ant, then a big, very ugly chernobyl ant (#6) with red/yellow/black legs. The fish were sipping #30's, and that's just not fun for me... So, when they go small, I go BIG and lucked out last night.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Will,

It wasn't me, just an impostor!!

You made the point that conventional wisdom isn't always the best. There's something to be said about being a non-conformist!!! You're my hero!!!

Gary Cranson,

We were on the same river at the same time, just a few miles away. I'll yell "HI" the next time. Funny thing about those rocks in my net. I saw a pair of clippers in the water and scooped them up with the net but didn't empty it. Hence the "brookie with rocks" photo. Good luck down in Rhody. I know you love it down there!!!

Ken