Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, August 31, 2018

This Blog, River Update, Ready For Fall And Soft Hackle Mainstays

Ken:
I just wanted to say "Thank you" for the Blog. You do an excellent job, your flies are TOP NOTCH, and the reports are on the mark.
I have been "lurking" for several years, but wanted to let you know, before I drive the several hours to wet the line, I always check your blog to see what is happening. - Kindman - August comment by a reader.



It's been a great month of August even with the heat. A lot of that satisfaction that I've felt comes from the growth of this blog. I have stayed true to form by focusing on OUR RIVERS and doing that on a steady basis. YOU have responded by sending comments that ACTUALLY CONTAIN INFORMATION, a rarity in the fly fishing blogosphere!! You and I truly cover more rivers in Massachusetts than anyone else!!! Thank YOU!!!!

How are the rivers? As I write the EB is at 189 cfs which is perfect and we have been catching fish and now that the heat has broken this river will only get better. Pat's Rubber Legs and Buggers (size 12 to 14) work. Also check out the stonefly and Isonychia nymphs all over the rocks at the EB. Yup, there are still big flies around!!!

The Millers - It's finally coming down!!!!! 470 this morning and with no real rain next week it will get only better. It's amazing that we are still taking 'bows out of this river in August, a real rarity in years past.

The Swift - It went from 52 to 45 cfs during the last 48 hours and yes, some of these brookies are beginning to color up. Yes, there are plenty of rainbows!

The Ware - I haven't fished it since early July but I plan to be there next week. Stay tuned.

Book A Fall Trip

My calendar is beginning to book up quickly. It's not too early to grab an October or November date especially those anglers who are limited to weekends. They go quickly!!

The Partridge And Orange

This is the most requested fly that I tie and my top fly on ALL RIVERS during the Fall. Some say it works because it has the same coloration as the October Caddis (maybe) or that it has the color of trout spawn (don't think so) but I think it works because of the magical movement of the hackles and a "secret sauce" body that I use. Sizes 14 and 16 work on all the rivers mentioned above with size 12 best on the bigger rivers.

BTW, I just read an article about tying an October Caddis nymph.  This nymph had a tungsten bead head AND lead wire in the body.  This concoction must weigh a thousand times more than what it's supposed to imitate. That's why I like soft hackles - very lightweight and insect-like movement in the water instead of a static piece of submerged jewelry.  That's why they call it fly fishing!!

Happy Labor Day!!

Ken




7 comments:

Sam said...

Kindman nailed it. Knowledge that you share here, Ken, including flies you recommend is the best. It has helped me plenty. Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Thank you Sam!!

Ken

tincup said...

ken with all the western rivers holding plenty of water and the weather should return to fall after next week heat what is the chance they move up the fall stocking by a couple of weeks.

Harry said...

Ken your blog really is something special. Thank you! I’ve been waiting for the Millers to get back down low enough. Looks like we are there based on ~200cfm at Birch Hill Dam. Last Saturday I hit the Swuuift before dawn and flogged the river for hours to only catch a few tiny Brookies. As I was leaving at 12:30 I noticed some rising fish 50 yds above the pipe and then saw a #16 Light Cahill flutter by. Well why not. So I drifted my fly over the fish and landed a 16”+ rainbow. Healthy and strong. Saved my trip (and it was my last cast...). Heading to the Kennebago tomorrow but looking forward to getting back on the Millers runs below Rezendez. Has been a good spot this summer and nobody there.

bigmster127 said...

went to millers this morning the smallies and bluegills were active, just no trout!!

Dalton Noel said...

Well I gave it a go on the EB this morning and after missing some
fish on my stimulator feeling kinda down i decided to try a few spots up river near 143 using the same tactic made a few casts into the pool and wham a hit and miss again.. feeling really down and out after that I make a few more casts and he wasnt coming back up again so I thought to myself if he hit that hard maybe he would take something subsurface so on went the soft hackles a size 12 partridge and orange with a trailer size 20 olive and partridge I make my cast to where I think he is holding and as my team of soft hackles make there swing into the run wham he’s on! Took the smaller of the two with the most aggressive strike that I can recall and was the most vibrant healthy rainbow I’ve seen in awhile as I’m getting ready to net him all of a sudden the fly pops out the line goes limp and he’s gone... looked at my rig still had both flies except the one he took the hook was bent out at a little more then 45 degrees... decided to call it after that and feeling defeated I’m sure we have all had our days and mine just happened to be today

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dalton,

We can give you credit for a long distance release!! There are some good spots between the 143 bridge and the town beach especially where that brook comes in. The brooks name escapes me now.

Harry,

Good luck up in Maine and thanks for the good words about this blog.

tincup,
It would be really good if they did move it up a week or so. How have the stripers been treating you??

Ken